DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 1st, 2003, 08:50 PM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Fabric gobos?

Does anyone know of a company that sells fabric gobos, made with velcro on the edges so they can be attached to popular brands of softboxes such as PhotoFlex?
Old February 2nd, 2003, 08:10 AM   #2
Major Player

I've never heard of any such, but I'd like to know too

I immediately thought these would not be hard to make, but then as I thought a little further I wondered how one would support the open areas of a gobo in a piece of fabric . . .

Maybe one would have to sew in the open parts with light fabric (or mesh?) inbetween the darker areas -- and that would be some difficult sewing if the shapes were complicated . . . and then would enough light pass through the light fabric?
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2003, 07:19 PM   #3

Good questions, Peter.

PhotoFlex already has the "circle spot" and "strip" attachments that connect by velcro to the inside of the softbox rim. They're all cloth, and hold up fine (no sagging around the cutout parts), despite having the holes cut out, I guess just because the velcro supports them on all sides...as if in a frame. Plus, the designs are simple.

Patterned gobos might be more difficult, depending on the intricacy of the pattern. Your idea is good...light or mesh fabric. Maybe even a heat-resistant clear plastic, if plastic able to endure temperatures that high without buckling exists.

PhotoFlex...you listening?
Old February 5th, 2003, 07:59 PM   #4

Peter,

Check this out.

Although it's huge, it shows that we're thinking about can be done...without the cutouts sagging.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management