Day for Night advice in den and bedroom? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 17th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #1
New Boot

Day for Night advice in den and bedroom?

I am shooting several scenes this weekend where my actor will be in bedroom and den. Because of lack of time we are having to shoot in the daytime instead of night. Both scenes take place at night.

Originally,
I was placing worklights outside the downstair windows and shining them in through blinds for (moonlight/streelights) and white balancing to give a slight blue tint where the blinds acted as cookies with the light splaying across the den floor.

How can I pull off this nighttime effect in the daytime and still get the atmosphere I am looking for? Should I block out the light coming in through the windows and use my own light sources?

I thought about just using the sunlight/diffused light as the room fill and then my own interior sources with CTB gels to light the rest since moonlight is reflected sunlight.

Any suggestions?
Zach Schuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 12:41 PM   #2
Major Player

Zach,

Better to get things dark than to try to simulate streaming moonlight. The windows will be way too bright no matter what you do. WalMart sells black bedsheets for $10-15 for a king-size set. You can cover quite a few windows with a set of these.

Josh
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 12:49 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Provost
WalMart sells black bedsheets for $10-15 for a king-size set. You can cover quite a few windows with a set of these.

Josh
Excellent tip, Josh. These are the kind of things that filmmakers on a budget need to know about. Thanks for sharing!

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management