Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 20th, 2006, 05:36 AM   #16
Trustee

Bill,

"I also made a pair of 5/8” pins."

Now I have to get a lathe! This video hobby is getting out of hand. Oh, wait, it's my job too...

Dean,

I wouldn't mind getting together and seeing how you've created your gear. It's hard to find people in the between zone above amateur but without the big budget. Most of the guys I know doing shorts aren't as into the technology and tools of the trade as myself.

I'm thinking of making one of the conduit models like Bill's, only larger, since I have some 3/4" conduit left over from another project. I've thought of something like that before, but I couldn't come up with an easy way of hanging and adjusting it. Thanks for the ideas!

I just realized something. Half the savings in making things myself is from the reduced need for shipping. I've bought some equipment where the shipping costs almost as much as the gear itself. Of course, that is amplified by my location.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:24 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault
"I also made a pair of 5/8” pins."

Now I have to get a lathe! This video hobby is getting out of hand. Oh, wait, it's my job too...
Yeah, I was kind of wondering about that too. A 5/8" stud with 1/4" female thread is only $5 (see pic), but I guess if you've got a lathe lying around, and the skills, and the will.....

Last edited by Jack Barker; November 20th, 2007 at 10:05 AM.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #18
Major Player

Well let's see I needed them on a Saturday and it was Friday so I order them from B&H and they ship on Monday I'm in a one day zone from NYC so they arrive on Tuesday afternoon hmm a little late I'm afraid.
Or since I have 5/8' aluminum rod already I can make half a dozen in less than an hour, hey look I have them when I need them wow!

Now I realize not everybody has a lathe and machining skills, however I do.
I also keep some the Avenger pins around I just got caught short, now I could have taken them from something else but that goes against my personality make up so I made my own.

Now you do not have to wonder any longer. :-)
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:54 AM   #19
Trustee

I'm just giving you a hard time, Bill. I thought it was hilarious that you through that out so casually. The build really is simple, until the lathing is thrown in. I'll probably be a customer for a pre-made version considering my skill level.

Thanks for that link, Jack, I was having trouble finding those pins with female threads for some reason. The ones with male threads (i.e. a bolt) don't have enough threads to accomodate going through the conduit and a couple of washers.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:03 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault

Dean,

I wouldn't mind getting together and seeing how you've created your gear. It's hard to find people in the between zone above amateur but without the big budget. Most of the guys I know doing shorts aren't as into the technology and tools of the trade as myself.

I've bought some equipment where the shipping costs almost as much as the gear itself. Of course, that is amplified by my location.
Marcus...

I'd be happy to share some of the techniques I've used to make things. Hadn't had to do a lot of that recently but sometimes there's little choice especially, as you said, when shipping is involved. Markertek called me once about an order for acoustic foam and they suggested I cancel the order -- the shipping was more than the cost of the foam! I managed to find a local supplier and that solved the problem.

I don't have a lathe but I can do short pieces, provided it can fit in the chuck of my drill press. I've done things like light stand stud adapters, fittings for fishing spears, etc. The drill press chuck can easily take a 5/8" diameter aluminum rod.

The idea of using electrical conduit sounds great. I'd probably use aluminum tubing just for the sake of weight. But depending on the type of aluminum, it could end up being costly. Also, I'm wondering if the added weight of the steel conduit might actually be an advantage for added wind resistance?
Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:33 PM   #21
Major Player

Dean,

I made one out of aluminum as well, the difference is 2 lbs 5 ¼ for the conduit and 3 ¼ for the aluminum tube.
If you will always be using stands for support I would go with the conduit, you can buy the parts, there is no bending and conduit connectors are inexpensive.
With the aluminum you need to make your own 90º bends and make your own connectors. I took the proper length of aluminum tube and put a 90º on one end.
(Yeah, I have the pipe benders too.) :-)

Now if you will be having someone had hold the frame then I would make the aluminum one.

Bill
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:35 AM   #22
Trustee

I just realized that I have even more conduit around than I thought. If I can find the connectors locally, I am going to build one soon. I need to decide on fabric first. I want both the gauzy/net black and white. I'm considering going with synthetic mosquito net since I'm not so sure cotton bobbinet will survive the tropics. I can protect my camera from liquid sunshine, but a big piece of fabric is definitely going to get wet.

Doh! I just realized that I just got two of those clamp-on baby pins. Yep, they clamp to 3/4" conduit just fine. Tomorrow, I search for pre-made conduit bends. I have the bender, but it won't put the flare on the end for easy disassembly. I'm going to need some grip clamps, but I know where to get a pair cheaply.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:07 AM   #23
Major Player

I bought one of these kits from B&H some time back and I liked it so much, I bought another. I believe that "IMPACT" is the house brand of B&H and this is useful not only for reflection, but the base 42" diameter disc makes fine diffusion. In fact, I use it as such in lieu of of a 48" frame. One of the 'reflector' surfaces is black, which is handy, and the stand/boom is sturdy and reasonably compact. The best part about the kit though, is the price.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont....x=7&image.y=8
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:49 PM   #24
Trustee

I have 32", 42" and 40"x60" collapsible reflectors with the holding arms. I have outlawed making crew hold reflectors. I am trying to eliminate as many of the unpleasant tasks needed for making independant no-budget shorts and holding reflectors is one of the worst. It is also better not to have a person hold the reflector since they can't hold it as stable as a stand. Also, it would be impossible to have a crewmember hold a 40x60" diffuser over the talent to cut down the sun.

I am interested in the rigid frame for larger shots and for a black gauze background to cut down backlight. I have a 35mm adapter, so I can keep the background out of focus enough that the gauze should never show. Backgrounds must be larger than the framed shot, so they need to be larger than a collapsible frame could accomodate.

I'm looking at polyester mosquito net for my black gauze. I will probably double it up for greater light reduction. I saw something interesting when looking at different netting products. There was an outdoor picture of a big collapsible netting tent. It is made much like the reflectors with a metal hoop around the perimeter that can be folded in on itself for storage. It was a 6x6x6' room for enclosing a patio area. What peaked my interest was the picture. The area of the sky behind the "room" was properly exposed, but the rest of the sky was blown out! :) So, two layers of mosquito net brings backlit sky into range. I don't think I will get the net "room" even though it looks nifty. I just don't see any way of properly supporting it in the shot.
Old May 27th, 2006, 03:16 AM   #25
Trustee

Moire Patterns?

Should I be worried about moire patterns if I use more than one layer of black netting behind the talent? I don't want anything weird going on that will clue the audience into my lighting techniques/failures.

I have most of the parts necessary for the conduit frame. I am going to try to build it this weekend or early next week. I won't have fabric until later as I haven't finalized my choice. I think I'm down to either the hex-weave mesh used for breathable gear bags or mosquito netting. The mesh is heavier and probably easier to hang but the netting is smaller weave and more invisible.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management