DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Frame / Panel reflector kits (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/67339-frame-panel-reflector-kits.html)

Michael Wisniewski May 14th, 2006 09:39 AM

Frame / Panel reflector kits

Just wanted to plug my favorite lighting tool - the Photoflex frame/panel reflector kit (or anything similar)

The main reasons I love it:
  • easy setup to diffuse direct overhead sunlight
  • it's a pleasure to shoot with the sun behind the subject, nice for models in the street or park and especially nice for weddings with a gorgeous picture window behind the wedding couple
  • easy light fill for large groups or full length shots
  • simple way to bounce back light into a scene in low light
Originally, I got it for shooting acting and modeling headshots (photography), but it's so gee whiz great I started using it for wedding/event videography and short films. It is the most used item in my kit, especially for outdoor shots. And it looks fairly elegant so it's easier to convince people to use it for nice venues, and it's large enough that you can just set it and go.

Jack Barker May 17th, 2006 02:18 PM

Hey Michael - Thanks for the post. As luck would have it, I was just about to post a query, as I'm trying to figure out an affordable butterfly/overhead setup. I don't want or need one of those 20x20' rigs, on the other hand the one you linked to seems to be vertical only (what if I want to cut the sunlight on a group of people?) and uses only 1 stand.

I had thought about making my own frame (PVC tubing + RipStop Nylon) and maybe around 6x8' to cover group shots. But for the life of me, I can't figure out a way to support it between 2 stands and get it so I can swivel it in different sun conditions. This pic is what I am using as a model.

Dean Sensui May 17th, 2006 02:49 PM

"I can't figure out a way to support it between 2 stands and get it so I can swivel it in different sun conditions. This pic is what I am using as a model."

Jack...

If you're building it out of PVC, then what about using a 4-way connector at the pivot point, then making an "axle" that slips over the top of the C-Stand at a right angle (so that the axle is in a horizontal position), and slips nicely into the 4-way connector?

Also, keep in mind that PVC isn't really that stiff. So you'll probably have to do some cross-bracing on the longer of the two dimensions. Otherwise the ripstop won't have enough tension to keep from flapping around too much.

The only other problem, at least for where I live, is wind. Even a 4' x 4' reflector can be a little tough for one person to control at times. One solution is a lot of sandbags and sand, at least for where I live, is fairly abundant.

:-)

Michael Wisniewski May 17th, 2006 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Barker
... I can't figure out a way to support it between 2 stands and get it so I can swivel it in different sun conditions.

You'll need a Main/T-Clamp.

Here are the links for the full setup:
Photoflex Frame / Panel (aluminum version)
Photoflex Medium Light Stand
Main/T-Clamp

Jack Barker May 17th, 2006 04:48 PM

You know, this site (as I've said before) and you guys are outstanding! Never do I ask a question without getting a quick and cogent answer. I took the time to look more closely at the Photoflex web site and saw that they also make a 77x77" frame (perfect) and my flipping between websites, I was able to come up with my own "kit" from B&H

- Photoflex 77x77" frame
- Photoflex 77x77" crossbar
- Translucent 77x77" fabric
- Black/White 77x77" cover (I have lots of gold and silver)
- (2) Main/T-clamps
- Photoflex bag

$337.40 before shipping. Just what I want - not worth my time to make something that may or may not work.

Marcus Marchesseault May 18th, 2006 02:56 AM

As Dean pointed out, Hawaii has lots of wind. The trade winds make 15mph constant wind a reality almost the whole year. I consider it a blessing as it keeps us comfortable, but reflectors can be a pain. I've thought that a white screen might be a good diffuser that would be a bit less prone to wind effects. Does anyone know where to find white screen/porous fabric that is strong? There is sun blocking black screen that is woven with extra threads compared to regular insect screen, but it only comes in black. Any ideas?

Jack Barker May 18th, 2006 08:12 AM

Maybe you could try Organza. It's tough, stiff, and cheap.

Bill Hamell May 18th, 2006 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault
I've thought that a white screen might be a good diffuser that would be a bit less prone to wind effects. Does anyone know where to find white screen/porous fabric that is strong? There is sun blocking black screen that is woven with extra threads compared to regular insect screen, but it only comes in black. Any ideas?

Marcus,

Rose Brand, I use their NY store however they have an LA one as well.
http://www.rosebrand.com/A_Com/showp...ectGroup_ID=36

Check out the 60" ¼ Stop Silk (Chiffon), FR it comes in black or white also check out the 72" Cinenet, FR (Bobbinette) or one of the wider widths. It also comes in black or white.

By your description I think the white ¼ stop silk chiffon might be the ticket.

Bill

Marcus Marchesseault May 19th, 2006 04:11 AM

Organza looks a bit light for my desires, but maybe doubled it would work. I really hate out-of-control highlights in video since I think exposure latitude is probably video's biggest flaw. I really want to knock down highlights a full f-stop and that is what the black screen I already have does. I checked out Rose Brand and they have a vast assortment of exactly what we are talking about. They even have a "film and video sample card" that has all sorts of scrims of black, white, and temperature lowering/raising screens and fabrics. I bookmarked them and I'm probably going to call them when the store is open.

I thought of something for the frame. PVC is too flexible for getting good tension, but it is easy to find connectors. Wood is harder to make instant connectors that are reversible, but it is stiff. Perhaps PVC pipes with wood dowels stuck inside for stiffness are a good DIY compromise?

I wish there were collapsible scrim frames like the circular/oval folding reflectors. I need something really portable and a bunch of PVC parts can be a mess. I always lose one.

Dean Sensui May 19th, 2006 04:24 AM

Marcus....

I made a 3' x 6' scrim using aluminum tubing as a frame. That came out quite stiff and is easily disassembled.

For a larger frame I'd use 1"x3" wood (probably lightweight pine or similar) and create joints that are easily slipped together using aluminum pins.

If you need help I got some pretty good tools at hand. I'm going to have to build a frame for a green screen soon.

Bill Hamell May 19th, 2006 12:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made the 4’x4’ frame in this photo with ½” EMT electrical conduit.
http://cinebydesign.net/film/set-test.jpg

There are two ways to do it, one is to cut the conduit to length and make a 90º bend in it.
The second is to buy the bends pre-made then cut the conduit to length.
The advantage here is you can change lengths at will. I attached the frame pieces together with regular EMT connectors with the exception that I replaced the screws with set screws that sit below the connector when tightened. This eliminates a “catching” problem and looks better. In the middle of the two uprights I drilled a ¼ “ hole and bent two washers to conform to the circumference of the conduit. I also made a pair of 5/8” pins.
A ¼ “ bolt goes through a washer from the inside of the frame, another washer on the outside of the frame then in to the 5/8” pin. When the pin is tightened it squeezes evenly around the frame. Use your favorite stands and gripheads.

You know have a sturdy light weight frame for lager sizes just use larger conduit.

Bill

Jack Barker May 19th, 2006 12:34 PM

Wow Bill, that's pretty nifty looking! Sure would like to see a detail of the bolt/washers/pin connection. Also, how are you holding your diffusion in place? Can't quite tell from the pic.

Bill Hamell May 19th, 2006 01:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Your wish is... well you know the rest. :-)
As you can now see I make my own elastic cords and use s-hooks to hold the diffusion.

Bill

Seth Bloombaum May 19th, 2006 05:11 PM

So that looks like a 5/8" spud coming off the frame.

Do you use c-stands with grip heads and just chuck it in, or do you use some specialty clamp on a light stand?

For those not familiar, the 5/8" spud is manufactured by Lowel, Mathews, and perhaps others. Readily available from lighting suppliers.

Bill Hamell May 19th, 2006 05:14 PM

Seth,

I use a 2 1/2" grip head on a lightstand and just chuck it in.

Bill