Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 9th, 2006, 08:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

lighting suggestions...

Hi,

I hope everyone is doing fine, sorry for breaking the rules in my previous post, i understand fully and would like to apologize to the moderators for blocking my post.

Anyway maybe you guys can help me out by suggesting and a decent lighting kit from our sponsors online store, my current situation is i would be using the lights for documentary interviews and for maybe lighting an individual for a green screen, (not the greenscreen itself, only the individual).

I wanted to know what was the best kit to go for, and if i needed any extra accessories.

Also has anyone used there products and if so, anyfeedback or reccomendations? price is always an issue when youre a student. So any reccomendations from expereince?

regards
Ismail
Old July 21st, 2006, 01:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Ismail,

I copied these links from another post:

http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/lighting/spears1.php
heres a good piece of information from somebody with alot of experience. also, Check out this article for some decent info:
http://www.videomaker.com/scripts/article.cfm?id=12095

Hope this helps.
Old July 21st, 2006, 01:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, i really found them helpful, i was wondering for interviews (internal), how much light in terms of watts would i need for a decent result, for a typical 3 point lighting kit?
Old July 23rd, 2006, 07:10 PM   #4
Major Player

What camera will you be using for your interviews?
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 07:38 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I do a lot of interview type stuff and I have found that 2 575W lites with 24 inch softboxes and a nice 250 with a snoot for the background seperation is a good place to start. One for a key lite and one for a soft fill with the BG lite, maybe a reflector (or 2) and sometimes a 100W kicker on the hair but by and a large I use the system I mentioned above for about 98% of my interviews.
Don B
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I've been very pleased with the Lowel DV Creator 1 kit ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search ). It includes a 750W Tota, a 500W Omni, and 250W Pro-Light. It works great for simple interviews. Here's an example of an interview I did using this kit: http://ts3ddesigns.com/images/InterviewLighting.jpg

I generally use the Tota as a key (usually bounced off the included umbrella, or through a diffusion gel), the Omni as fill, and the Pro-Light as a back or rim light (usually with an ND gel to knock down the output). All these gels and more are included in the kit as well.

I used to use a 3-peice Britek kit that included two 500W broads w/ removeable softboxes and a 200W spot. This kit worked great while it lasted, but I've had lots of problems with those lights and they currently are all out of service.
Colton Davie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management