DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 6th, 2003, 08:12 AM   #1
Tourist

Lighting a hot room

I'm going to shoot a scene in a bright red room. Very hot! I have a GL-2 which is hot as well. Any advice on how to light the room? I'm also curious to know what type of light meter to buy. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old March 6th, 2003, 09:20 AM   #2
Wrangler

Yes.

Paint the room a different colour.

:)

Seriously, I'd obviously look at renting a light kit which gave you a very diffused light. Check out the Kinoflo Diva Lights (DivaLite, something like that). They are electronic ballast compact flourescents. They throw a nice light, run cool, and can be dimmed. Not cheap, but they are good.
Old March 6th, 2003, 10:56 AM   #3
Major Player

Light meters are not necessarily required for video work. Using a calibrated monitor and the zebra settings of your camcorder (if available) should alert you to under- or overexposed areas of your shot.

However, having a light meter for learning purposes is a good idea, I think, and from what I understand, a prerequisite for film. I plan on doing the same soon too. I've been looking at the Sekonic line of meters but you will end up paying more for an incident, reflected, and spot lightmeter solution.

In regards to the red room: I think we need a Wrangler to help out on that one...
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 11:53 AM   #4
Wrangler

My suggestion would be to keep the actors/subject as far from the walls as possible i.e. into the center of the room, and while you are renting lighting gear make sure to include flags and nets (and c-stands to mount them on, and sandbags to keep the stands from tipping...) They will help cut light from the walls, which will keep them from popping visually. For instance, if you use a soft light source that is 3/4 to the front, use the solid flags (black) on the far side of the light to keep spill from hitting the wall opposite camera. You may also need a topper (flag positioned above the light) to cut down the ceiling bounce, particularly if you are using a source like a Kino. Backlighting the actors with a cool tone (like a 1/4 or 1/2 CTB) will help separate them from the warm walls.
Old March 7th, 2003, 06:10 AM   #5
Warden

Your going to get a lot of local color from the reflection of light off the red walls. Use a good monitor that has an accurate calibration. Use the monitor to check not only exposure but the overall warm tones you'll be seeing. You may need to experiment with the lighting as Charles suggests, modify the white balance or both. Search warm cards for some discussions on WB to alternate colors.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management