Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 3rd, 2006, 02:52 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett
While the Dedos are great lights, they are rather expensive.
Compared to, what, microphones? Wide angle adaptors? I rented lighting kits for a year or so (mostly Dedos), and now I've got my own kit which will last 10 years plus (like my Sanken mics) - anyways, more than my Z1 ever will. It's the killer combination of long-throw spot, dimming and theevennes that sold me over cheaper lamps.

Quote:
Do they ever show up used on Ebay?
No. Not that I've seen. ;)

A box of 3 Sachtler reporter lamps went for the price of two brand new Dedos, and I thought that was overpriced judging by the condition. A few secondhand Dedos went on sale at my local Emporium (ProKit.co.uk) and rapidly went at prices that only dipped below new. I think they were over six years old. Good lighting holds its value.

I think it's a bit like Porsches - if you see a bargain, it's for spare parts only. Anything drivable doesn't cost much less than list. :D
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 04:46 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Hi Matt:

When I said they were rather expensive, I meant in comparison to comparable lights like Arri fresnels. To me, a three light kit with only 450 watts of output at that price seems bit expensive, if you are looking at value per dollar.

These days, I think it is too easy to just go out and spend vast sums of money on nice, yet expensive lights, hence my quest for homemade Kinos. Anyone can shell out $1,000.00 for a Diva 400 but how many can assemble their own that will do as good a job for about $200.00? That, to me, is more intriguing and a more interesting way to work.

Same with the Dedos, if money were no object, I would love to own a full kit but for my own spending habits, I would rather buy my PortaJib, dolly, HVX-200, more P2 cards, etc. than buy expensive lights that are nice, but I really don't HAVE to have them.

All the best,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 05:15 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss
now I've got my own kit which will last 10 years plus (like my Sanken mics)
I also have Sanken mic's (COS-11) and I think they are awesome, especially with the Ambient Eumel!
Brian Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #19
New Boot

DLH1X150 Design Change

The DLH1X150 I ordered from B&H arrived. To my surprise, it looked nothing like the picture on B&H site or in the Dedolight catalog - the reflector mirror is gone, and the lamp is not vertical but horizontal, like all other dedo soft heads.

I thought there was a mistake, but there is a clear label DLH1X150 on the head, and it does work from their 24V power unit.

I spoke with B&H, with their intermediate dealer Visual Departures, Inc, and finally with someone at Dedotec. At first everyone denied the possibility that the light I was holding in my hand had any right to exist.

Then the person at Dedotec found out that the design had indeed been changed by the factory (although no one was told about it) as the light output of DLH1X150 in a Dedoflex small (12"x12") softbox did not change whether a reflector was present or not.

Testing time: I put the mutated DLH1X150 with its 150W bulb in a Chimera XS box next to my Rifa 44 with a 250W bulb, half-expecting them to be about the same brightness - but no magic: Rifa is about twice as bright. Duh! Of course a 250W lamp will be brighter than a 150W!

Hmm, I thought - what about the claim made about the DLH4X150S, which is just 4 DLH1X150s (original design) put together: it is supposed to provide "almost as much light output as a 2K Fresnel with a softbox". Simple arithmetics: 4 lights - 2000W, 1 light - 500W. Ok, with a softbox with 1 stop diffusion screen it should be about half. or ~250W. Should be brighter then, say, the above Rifa 44?

So now I am confused: is the reason it isn't particularly bright is the design change or simply my high expectations and laws of physics?

Now, the light it creates through Chimera box is very nice, and at the brightest settings (3400K) it is noticeably less yellow than the Rifa. It will work very well as a soft fill for portraits, but the light will need to be right in the face of the talent. If, as I often do, I need it to light two people for an interview in a hurry (which is how I use Rifa) from about two meters away, the light output will not be enough.

The fact that the light is dimmable is rather useless to me as well: it is not bright enough even turned all the way up. But I am sure other people will find it useful.

Thought I'd share my observations.

The pictures below illustrate the design change: the picture on the left is the original design advertized on B&H site, the one on the right is the new design.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone use Dedoflex?-dlh1x150-advertised.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by Vladimir Gitlevich; November 11th, 2006 at 08:18 PM.
Vladimir Gitlevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 12:55 PM   #20
Trustee

All watts aren't equal

Quote:
To me, a three light kit with only 450 watts of output at that price seems bit expensive, if you are looking at value per dollar.
Yup, but those watts work really hard. They're not the same kind of watts found in other devices. These are Low Voltage Over Achieving watts.

OTOH, the Dedo 'kits' do seem a bit silly. I've a couple of clients who shall remain nameless who have very nice 'Janet and John shoot video' kits (PD170, 2x ECM-77s, Dedo lighting kit, Panasonic VM, et al - you can picture the scene) but three spots in a nice bag maketh not a lighting kit...

OYAH, have been cooling off after exposure to a professional discussion that leaned towards the school of 'bounce a blonde off the wall and everything's lit' school of lighting.

Watts are just monetary units. They are the MPG of lamps.

Yes, I know, not really. Because if P=IV and X=M/G, then I guess Watts are the miles... Oh dear... Whatever? I am really bad at math.... :D
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir Gitlevich
The pictures below illustrate the design change: the picture on the left is the original design advertized on B&H site, the one on the right is the new design.
The one I have is the one on the left. DLH1X150, SN1027.

I've done direct side by side comparisons with a Rifa, and I chose the DedoFlex. The light, the output, the dimming and the 'it goes to 11' setting made the choice a no-brainer. It honestly matched the Rifa for output. Egad, what have they done?!

Hmmm.
Matt Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management