DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   How do you Daylight balance a Frezzi Softbox? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/78863-how-do-you-daylight-balance-frezzi-softbox.html)

Les Wilson November 4th, 2006 08:35 AM

How do you Daylight balance a Frezzi Softbox?

I picked up a Frezzi Micro Fill. I have a Softbox on order. Does anyone know if the Softbox will mount along with the Frezzi dichroic filter? If not, how do people to daylight balance the light with the softbox on?

Greg Boston November 4th, 2006 09:01 AM

Blue correction gel cut to size and placed inside the front face of the softbox. Of course you know that's going to cut your light down dramatically.

-gb-

Les Wilson November 4th, 2006 11:39 AM

Yup. I understand the physics. So the micro-fill softbox has something that holds the gell in place? I know the mini-fill SB does but saw nothing about the micro-fill in that regard.

Greg Boston November 4th, 2006 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest House
Yup. I understand the physics. So the micro-fill softbox has something that holds the gell in place? I know the mini-fill SB does but saw nothing about the micro-fill in that regard.

I think it will be a roll-your-own solution. I'm looking at my AB softbox and think it would be easy to cut a square piece of blue gel to sit at the front, on the inside. I've done it with a larger 2X2 softbox and it worked ok. Maybe I need to look at a picture of the micro-fill softbox.

-gb-

Les Wilson November 11th, 2006 08:58 PM

Epilog: The Frezzi micro-fill and softbox arrived 18 hours before departure. For the record, the metal frame on the Softbox holds a properly cut 3"x 3" CTB gel nicely without interfering with the way the SB folds up. However, inserting or removing the gel isn't something you want to plan on doing in the field. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a field friendly solution as the SB ring does not seem to leave room for anything else to mount on the lamp such as the Frezzi dichroic filter. Bummer. It's great light.

Jeff Kellam November 5th, 2009 02:52 PM

Les:

How about a followup from three years of experience?

I just ordered the micro-fill softbox today. Do you still use yours?

Any tips or observations?

Jeff

Les Wilson November 5th, 2009 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I still use it and appreciate its engineering and design that puts a compact and low weight light on the camera and the heavy bulky battery elsewhere. I use a 4-pin XLR connector. I rarely use the Dichroic attachment because I prefer the softbox and use a gel inserted inside the cage for daylight.

It's a rugged light that I took to the Ukraine, Singapore, China and all around town here. In addition to being a mobile light, I also use it in studio to address the raccoon effect and to boost the catchlight from the key (see attached still from XL1s). The built-in dimmer makes it versatile and precise. However, at the end of the day it's only a 35w light but that's what I wanted.

Shaun Roemich November 5th, 2009 09:05 PM

I LOVE the build and light of the Frezzi but did they ever work out the deal with the screw not staying tight against the stud post screwed into the top of the camera? When I worked TV news, we couldn't keep the Frezzi's pointed forward and tight which was too bad because the dimmer was AWESOME as was the form factor. I personally bought an AntonBauer UltraLight2 for my cameras for the SOLE reason that it stays facing forward.

Les Wilson November 6th, 2009 05:49 AM

That is a weakness. I have to crank hard to tighten it. Securing the wire to the camera helps prevent any tugs from turning it but ya, that happens.

Jeff Kellam November 6th, 2009 10:13 AM

Thanks for the update! Good to hear there are still sensible people using tungsten balanced lights.

Jeff Kellam November 11th, 2009 09:49 AM

Micro-Fill softbox

Well, I tried out my Micro-Fill softbox. It works well for softening, but it's cutting my beam width down even more than the already tight (30 degree flood) pattern of the Micro-Fill. For my use, I need a 2 to 3 person wide interview illumination, which the Micro-Fill is not well suited for anyway at close range.

I should have known that was to be expected. Gonna have to return the softbox.