DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Big chapel windows (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/7927-big-chapel-windows.html)

Alex Taylor March 21st, 2003 06:11 PM

Big chapel windows

I'm shooting a wedding tomorrow and I went over to the chapel today to scout it out. The first thing I noticed when I walked in was the HUGE window right behind the altar. It was overcast and the light was quite bright coming through.

There's a balcony above and at the back of the chapel where the organ is. I'm planning to have one camera there to capture a wide shot of the ceremony so I have something to cut away to. From up there, the window poses no problem; because of the angle, it doesn't 'bleed' at all. But down on the main level, it's very bothersome.. In addition to the light spilling over and creating a white glow, you get those annoying vertical lines of light that seem to happen all too often with cheap DV cameras.

I've only got a Canon ZR20 so I don't have much wiggle room. I would love to be able to put some gel over that window but I couldn't afford it and they probably wouldn't let me. My plan so far is to avoid shooting head-on from the ground floor as much as possible, and just deal with it if I absolutely have to. This is probably a long shot, but if anybody has any quick-fix solutions or even tips to decrease the ugly white glow through that window, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
-Alex

Robert Knecht Schmidt March 21st, 2003 06:35 PM

My best suggestion would be to shoot from the sides, and for the shots that need to include the window, expose for the stained glass detail and capture the bride and groom in silhouette. Test this before hand to ensure the effect is desirable.

K. Forman March 21st, 2003 06:40 PM

It's always good to check the site before hand, just in case of problems like you have mentioned. Aside from covering the outside of the glass, you might try and use the light as a natural effect. My only other thought would be to use a filter, maybe a polarized? I'm sure someone will chime in with a better answer.

Just one question- Did you check out the church at the same time of day as the ceremony? If not, it may not be a problem at all.

Alex Taylor March 21st, 2003 07:05 PM

Robert,
I wish it was stained glass, that might be a bit better! Unfortunately it's just clear glass. The silhouette idea would work well I think, I don't have as much control as I'd like with this camera but I should be able to get it to expose for the outside light when I need it.

Keith,
I was thinking of using a polarizer. I don't have one specifically for my video camera, but I held a filter from my SLR up to the lens and it seemed to cut down the bleed a bit.

I was there at about 11 or so, and the ceremony will be around 1. So you may be right, the light may have changed enough to make it less of a problem. There are also large windows in the reception hall, but by that time it will be evening so it shouldn't be any problem.

I'll let you know how it goes! This is my first time shooting a wedding, so I don't know what to expect. But I think it should go fairly well!