CFL for Video lighting at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 15th, 2006, 10:08 AM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 219
CFL for Video lighting

How would the idea to use the inexpensive 2700K or 6500K CFLs in a group of 10 to make up a light rig for lighting a stage shot where its about 10feets away from a stage of size of 10x15feets.

The camera (like I use DSR400 DV200 GYDV5000) would do the white balancing accordingly. What would a better idea to use 2700k golden CFL or 6500k white CFL

Any idea will help me !!!
__________________
Cheers !
Bankim Jain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 143
Fluorescents probably aren't the best choice for lighting a stage, because they don't "project" light very far. And, they aren't directional. They are mainly used for close-ups in film lighting, but not for stage lighting. There are much more appropriate lights for stage lighting, such as Pars and LEKO's. However, the light you described has already been made. It's the FalconEyes SFL-12 fixture. Here's a picture:

http://www.tradeeasy.com/photo/selle...lconey5003.jpg
Brian Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:22 PM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wells
Fluorescents probably aren't the best choice for lighting a stage, because they don't "project" light very far. And, they aren't directional. They are mainly used for close-ups in film lighting, but not for stage lighting. There are much more appropriate lights for stage lighting, such as Pars and LEKO's. However, the light you described has already been made. It's the FalconEyes SFL-12 fixture. Here's a picture:

http://www.tradeeasy.com/photo/selle...lconey5003.jpg
I mioght have described it wrongly. I had been meaning that its not for dramas =etc on stage but its for say a wedding reception where every one is lik emeeting the couple or say for a group lightin of a about 7-10 people. I intend to make a cluster of 15 or mo0re depending ...

How would the stuff of 80+cri an ordinary 2700k CFL do the job. has any one ever tried the same...
__________________
Cheers !
Bankim Jain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 10:28 PM   #4
Trustee
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 1,961
I think it would probably work. It would be a lot like having a softbox. You might need a bit of light diffusion gel over the whole thing to prevent individual shadows from the bulbs. The bulbs temperature you use would be matched to the surroundings. If you are mostly indoors, select ~3,000Kelvin. If you are in mixed lighting or outdoors, think about the ~5,500Kelvin fixtures. Regardless of your choice, you might want a sheet of CTO and CTB to adjust your light a bit in either direction depending on the circumstances. I think I would stay away from 6,500Kelvin as it is probably too blue and may wash out the color in people's faces.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault
I think it would probably work. It would be a lot like having a softbox. You might need a bit of light diffusion gel over the whole thing to prevent individual shadows from the bulbs. The bulbs temperature you use would be matched to the surroundings. If you are mostly indoors, select ~3,000Kelvin. If you are in mixed lighting or outdoors, think about the ~5,500Kelvin fixtures. Regardless of your choice, you might want a sheet of CTO and CTB to adjust your light a bit in either direction depending on the circumstances. I think I would stay away from 6,500Kelvin as it is probably too blue and may wash out the color in people's faces.
Thx for your reply. I plan to use 2700 8cri 23W CFL bulbs put together in a paner holding about 15-20 of them in front of a reflector cased in a box. All this is definately having a diffuser sheet (like a plastic sheet thin/thick enough to allow diffused light thru them).

May be 2700 will also give me the Good Warm feeling that I desire for weddings. As Hindu weddings have lots of colours in their attire. So Warm tone should definately look CAKE!!!
__________________
Cheers !
Bankim Jain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 02:01 AM   #6
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankim Jain
How would the stuff of 80+cri an ordinary 2700k CFL do the job.
A tungsten chimera would be my #1 choice for beautiful lighting as tungsten lamps are 100 CRI...
Brian Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 07:35 PM   #7
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,222
>May be 2700 will also give me the Good Warm feeling that I desire for >weddings. As Hindu weddings have lots of colours in their attire.

If you white balance, then the warm feeling is removed. I thought that white balancing to 2700K caused an extraneous boost in the blues. This is a problem in situations with darker lighting.

I bought several banks of fluorescent lights that came with 3500K CRI=82. After I swapped in some "Philips TL 950 - T8, 5000 Kelvin, 98 CRI Full Spectrum Fluorescent" bulbs, all of my colors gained this vibrant phosphorescent quality. (I white-balanced for each set).

I think you will want the highest CRI to avoid the color gaps. I'm currently seaching for high-CRI CFL bulbs. There are many 82-5 CRI offerings, but there are a few that claim 90-91 CRI at 5500K. The 5500K bulbs won't mix well with other lighting, but they do a decent job of mixing with a still camera flash if you add a green gel.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 04:51 AM   #8
Trustee
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 1,961
If you use 2700K lights indoors at a wedding, you may find that it is even too high a kelvin rating because ballrooms often have dimmed lights that go way down the Kelvin range. You might try setting your camera to the indoor/3200K setting so the 2700K will look warm. You could also try white balancing to the light without gel so you get the green/magenta balanced, then add some light CTO (amber/orange color gel) to bring your light down closer to the room light. Don't balance to the dimmed incandescent room light or they will look too white.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:00 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network