DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   On camera lighting for PD150 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/8029-camera-lighting-pd150.html)

Mark Richman March 25th, 2003 10:15 AM

On camera lighting for PD150

doing a reception video and need on camera lights. Reception Hall is dark and I don't want to blind the folks.

Grampa might think his time has come and follow the light. jj

Thanks in advance,
Mark

David Mintzer March 25th, 2003 02:51 PM

There are many options---I use the FREZZI but understand that your throw and power are limited---(in the case of the frezzi you can go as high as 100W) I also use a softbox on my light made by chimera.

Don Bloom March 25th, 2003 06:57 PM

I use a Bescor 50W, I diffuse it down if need be and I also use a Bescor power belt. I can run about 2 1/2 hours continuously if needbe. The belt however weights about 18 lbs.. My back hurts thinking about it!
Don

Mike Rehmus March 25th, 2003 09:07 PM

I very much like the little Sunpac CZ-200A, a 20 watt manual or automatic light. In auto mode, the light intensity is varied according to a non-changable program. Fairly compact, it runs off of 6 VDC Nicad camera batteries or, with an adapter, from a battery belt.

Has a wide to narrow beam adjustment.

For softer light, I use a NRG Varilight pro into a Photoflex Action dome ENG softbox. A bit big but nice controllable light. Also works nice on a light stand for interview work.

Neil McLean September 25th, 2003 04:19 AM

Hi Mark,

I also have a PD150 and received my light and softbox yesterday.

My light is a mains powered, 300W Tungsten Satchler Reporter. I also bought extra 300W bulbs and a few 150W tungsten bulbs and a dischroic filter and a diffuser to give me more flexibility.

My softbox is a Lasolite (Dianira) c/w speed ring. I'm in the process of playing about with it at the moment and hope to use this set up for real tomorrow.

It's mounted on the 150 handle via an Arri super clamp and extension arm. I thought option was better as it's too much weight for the accessory shoe.

I've also got the Sony HVL-20DW2 on-camera light that powers off the 750 or 960 batteries.

If you give me your email address I will endeavour to send you some photos.

Regards,
Neil

Leo Espinosa September 25th, 2003 04:03 PM

How does the PD-150 power the HVL-20DW2 on camera light ?

Barry Green September 25th, 2003 04:13 PM

It doesn't. The light takes the same batteries as the camera does, so you mount a battery directly to the light. The light then has its own battery and the camera has its own.

Tom Hardwick September 26th, 2003 07:41 AM

I rather like the 20DW2 light and I've just written a test report for Film and Video Maker. My conclusions are as follows:

This little accessory is a beauty. Small, light and effective, it gives gorgeous colours with the camcorder set either to automatic white balance or to artificial white balance. The 10 watt mode adds catch-lights to the eyes and certainly isn’t too harsh to have pointed at you. With this sort of wattage there’s none of the ‘elk caught in the headlights’ glare. The illumination is pretty ‘point source’ despite the diffusion however, and the shadows cast do tend to be pretty black in a dimly lit room.

A typical use for this light is for the bride and groom’s first dance. On the dance floor the effect of the light is near miraculous. The exposure must be locked down of course and the distance from camcorder to the dancers has to be kept as constant as possible, but to the untrained eye there is often no evidence that a movie light has been used. The exposure is perfect, the disco lights hide the shadows and the self-contained light doesn’t hinder me in any way as I float with the couple across the floor.

As the lamp will run for so long on a full charge I’ve tended to leave the lamp lit for long periods at a time when filming at weddings. This is useful in that people get used to the light and don’t react negatively when I film the dancing, cake cutting, speeches and so on. Another advantage I’ve found is that I’ve been able to use the lamp to illuminate awkward steps and corners in venues and I’ve even used it to help people to write in the bride and groom’s guest book. This may seem inconsequential, but filming weddings is as much about interacting with the guests, being accepted and appreciated, as it is about being there to simply get the footage.

tom.

Dave Largent September 27th, 2003 04:04 AM

Tom,
How do you think that light would work with a wide angle lens? Wouldn't it look like a small dot of light in the center of the picture? Would there be any diffusion options with this light?
Dave

Richard Veil September 27th, 2003 07:10 PM

I suggest this........

1- Prolight from Lowel
1 Chimera speedring item 2945
1 12x16 videopro bank Item 8504

all adds up to a great on camera or off camera AC/DC light and happy subjects.

peace and love

R

Tom Hardwick September 28th, 2003 01:15 AM

yes Dave, there is light falloff towards the edges and I've supplied a picture with the article to show this. But scientific tests don't tell all, and in the real world (couple's first dance for instance) light falloff towards the edges of the frame should be the last thing on the viewers's mind. In fact for such instances I use a 0.5x wide-angle, the couple are well exposed in the frame and the whole of the rest of the romm is included.

There'd no optiion for further diffusion of the light but of course that doesn't stop you experimenting (and reducing the light output of course).

tom.

Bryan Beasleigh September 28th, 2003 02:53 AM

Richard
How does the ring mount to the camera. I really like the idea of the larger softbox. There is very little weight involved just bulk.

I'd appreciate more detail.

Thanks
Bryan

Richard Veil September 28th, 2003 04:02 PM

Pro light speedring ect..

The Prolight mounts to the camera via a hot shoe adapter. The speedring Chimera makes mounts onto the Prolight via the umbrella clamp and the bank mounts to the speedring.
I can't think of the lowel part number for the hotshoe mounting piece but I can find out.
r

Bryan Beasleigh September 28th, 2003 09:04 PM

I already have the hot shoe mount in my goody box.
Thanx for the info.