Chimera Soft Box at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 26th, 2006, 06:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Chimera Soft Box

I recently purchase some used lighting equipment. Included was a Chimera soft box labeled "Super" "M". I assume the 'M' to be an abbreviation of medium as the box is 36x48. It doesn't appear that this particular model is still made by Chimera.

My concern is that this is a strobe only soft box. Can anyone confirm if that is the case (the inside is a reflective silver). If it is a strobe only box, is there any heat-resistent material that I could replace the front baffle with? I don't expect to use more than 600 watts of light with this box. I am simply in the process of putting together a light kit as inexpensively as possible and thought that having a softbox would be a useful tool for interviews.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Curt
Curt Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 10:05 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Talbot
...Any thoughts would be appreciated.
How about contacting Chimera? I'd hate to set a house on fire on the strength of what what some person on the internet told me. No offense meant, but it's better to be very conservative on potential safety issues.

CHIMERA
1812 Valtec Lane
Boulder, CO 80301
USA

TOLL FREE: 888-444-1812
PHONE: 303-444-8000
FAX: 303-444-8303
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 01:26 PM   #3
Major Player

I'd second Seth's suggestion. I've had really good experiences with the folks at Chimera. They've always been helpful about answering questions and offering suggestions about what would be useful in certain situations. Give them a call and I'm sure they can help.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Yes it's for flash.

You want either a Quartz which can handle 6K, or a Video Pro and can handle high temps, but the XS and S max out @ about 1K.

I don't suggest using the Super for hotlights, because the risk of melting the bag is too great. See if you can return it and look for a Quartz, or Video Pro.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management