DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Poll for BH and excessive packaging ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/80657-poll-bh-excessive-packaging.html)

Gints Klimanis November 30th, 2006 04:23 AM

Poll for BH and excessive packaging ?

Hi,

Pretty much every Rosco gel order, be it the small swatch books or a gel pack, I've received from BH Photo has been shipped in a large box stuffed with styrofoam. This packaging is incredibly wasteful and quite different from the typical BH Photo packaging. I almost feel quilty ordering a $0.01 swatch book or three 10"x12" gels knowing that they will be shipping with such relative waste. My last order of 10x12" gels was shipped in an overthick box filled with styrofoam peanuts, and the gels were wrinkled up anyway. Won't a thin, stiff cardboard envelope suffice ? The worst part of it is when the gels are combined with other orders that I need with the speedier delivery options.

I want to call up BH Photo and request a reduction in packaging. Has this been your experience with Rocso gels or other products ? Please let me know so I can include some other experiences.

Steven Davis November 30th, 2006 06:58 AM

Most of what I get from B&H is well packaged. I agree that sometimes I get a large box with a little item in it. I'm sure it has to cost more with UPS for the bigger package. I'm sure that B&H does this so things don't get damaged. I agree also though that when they shipped me my camera, I was comforted of the fact that it came in a bigger box and well packed.

And for calling B&H and they listening to you, I mean actually listening...........well, may the force be with you young skywalker.

Brian Wells November 30th, 2006 09:09 AM

Can you purchase gels in San Jose, CA instead of shipping them from New York?

Bennis Hahn November 30th, 2006 11:08 AM

I just ordered three 21"x24" sheets from them and it came in a huge box (the box my DVX came in would have fit comfortably), so I know what you mean. But honestly, I don't think they are going to change their shipping specs if you call them up. Good luck though.

Marco Leavitt November 30th, 2006 11:15 AM

This post cracks me up. I'm sitting next to probably five giant boxes right now that were used to ship relatively miniscule items from B&H. Still, I'd rather they over did the packaging than used too little.

Gints Klimanis November 30th, 2006 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Wells
Can you purchase gels in San Jose, CA instead of shipping them from New York?

I used to be close to this place, but now, I live 25 miles from San Jose :

Musson Theatrical Inc.
890 Walsh Avenue
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-986-0210
www.musson.com

Glenn Davidson November 30th, 2006 10:31 PM

I starting ordering from B&H because they double box equipment. This is the best way to avoid damage. UPS and FedEx can be pretty brutal with shipments. My G5 arrived from another vendor via FedEx in its original Apple Box with a big gash in it.

Don't feel guilty about ordering small items, just recycle the boxes and use the styrofoam for packaging or bag them and take to a mailbox store for reuse.