Has anyone ever softened a Home Depot work light like this? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 07:15 PM   #46
Trustee

I got my baking tin today and yes, it needs to be deeper, but in a pinch it works well. Also, maybe some ideas for creating light weight barn doors for this? I was thinking about cutting up some of the aluminum and using hinges, but I havne't tried it yet...
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 09:06 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Delaney
Also, maybe some ideas for creating light weight barn doors for this?
Here's a DIY tutorial on doing just that:

http://www.bealecorner.com/trv900/barn/barndoors.html

H.
Henry Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 09:23 PM   #48
Trustee

It won't work with baking tin because of the weight so another solution is probably necessary...
Old January 2nd, 2007, 10:11 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Quote:
It won't work with baking tin because of the weight so another solution is probably necessary...
Sorry. I misunderstood your intent. Barn doors on the softbox. But do softboxes uusally have barn doors?

H.
Henry Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 09:36 AM   #50
Trustee

It's funny, I never really thought of this as a softbox even though I guess it is!
Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:04 AM   #51
Inner Circle

Well... it's a 'box' around a light, designed to soften it... so yeah, it's a DIY 'softbox'. Thats the properties I've been critiquing it on. Like I said, it's an elegant solution, especially for controlling spill... which is one of the bigger problems using worklights. That's why there are tutorials for building barndoors for them. This eliminates the usual barn door solution in favor of attaching a 'softbox'. Again, my primary concern for the softness, is the shallow depth of the pan. Aside from that, a cheap fix for low budget filmmaking.

Pro softboxes will have 'egg crate' grills that attach to the front, this helps to cut down on spill. Some have fabric 'barn doors' that velcro to the edges, but I've never really found those very usefull. A flag on a c - stand will do a better job. But if you've got flags, and c - stands... you're probably not doing this.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:42 AM   #52
Trustee

Where can you get those egg crate grills?

Also, I have noticed the baking tins are very flimsy (I only got the cheap $1.00 store one). Maybe the turkey ones are more rigid?

Last edited by David Delaney; January 3rd, 2007 at 11:58 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:55 PM   #53
Regular Crew

Quote:
Where can you get those egg crate grills?

Also, I have noticed the baking tins are very flimsy (I only got the cheap $1.00 store one). Maybe the turkey ones are more rigid?

Well yes they are only foil so obviously not going to be all that sturdy. Thats the joy of them. If they get smashed make a new one for a buck. I didnt get a chance to hunt for the deeper ones last night, but Ill look around soon. Have another shoot tonight, so see how it goes.
Ryan Kingston (Guest) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #54
Major Player

Hey Ryan, Just an Idea if you are really looking for some "depth" using the same kinda stuff.....They sell the cheap flat cookie sheets made of the same stuff(probably in the same Aisle at Walmart or Miejer)& you could get 4 of those and easily construct a traditional softbox shape and probably a pretty deep one. The joints could either be taped or just crimped(even pop-rivets if you please). Maybe I will try it too and see what I can come up with. Stuff like this is fun to me.

If you go to "cut" this stuff, be careful because it maybe sharp like an aluminum can.

I still say your original idea is cheap, easy, portable & with great diffusion. Lets keep building on it.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 10:45 AM   #55
Regular Crew

Very helpful

I'm not a pro-am videographer. Just an indie musician trying to do some stuff on budget for simple apps.

That light diffuser tutorial was incredibly helpful. Thanks, Ryan.

Best,

Charles
Charles Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #56
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Alexander
I'm not a pro-am videographer. Just an indie musician trying to do some stuff on budget for simple apps.

That light diffuser tutorial was incredibly helpful. Thanks, Ryan.

Best,

Charles
Np got your email. Ill keep in touch. Its nice to have local people to bs about video and whatnot. ;)
Ryan Kingston (Guest) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 11:42 PM   #57
Regular Crew

Yes, I'll be doing most of the bs-ing...I know nothing about this stuff..Strictly amateur. Just trying to improvise ;-)
Old January 9th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #58
Regular Crew

Say, I am unencumbered by knowledge so I am going to throw out this possible suggestion for Ryan's work light solution.

Someone here mentioned that the distance from element to diffuser was too short. I don't know why that matters - but for now, I'm going to assume that it *does* matter.

Assuming you build the softbox the way Ryan suggests (with EZ Foil Pans). Could you then not attach white foamcore pieces to the foil to effectively extend the "box"? Then attach the diffusion material?

There is a foamcore softbox solution mentioned here:

http://www.studiolighting.net/foam-c...emade-softbox/

If the foamcore doesn't actually touch the light element, would it still be in danger of melting?

Thoughts, warnings?

Charles
Old January 9th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #59
Major Player

I've used the oil drip pans from the automotive isle at wallymart to build sheet metal boxes using a rivit gun.... then had them powder coated.... looks pretty good.... mind you, my project was with 24" daylight flo's.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #60
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Alexander
Say, I am unencumbered by knowledge so I am going to throw out this possible suggestion for Ryan's work light solution.

Someone here mentioned that the distance from element to diffuser was too short. I don't know why that matters - but for now, I'm going to assume that it *does* matter.

Assuming you build the softbox the way Ryan suggests (with EZ Foil Pans). Could you then not attach white foamcore pieces to the foil to effectively extend the "box"? Then attach the diffusion material?

There is a foamcore softbox solution mentioned here:

http://www.studiolighting.net/foam-c...emade-softbox/

If the foamcore doesn't actually touch the light element, would it still be in danger of melting?

Thoughts, warnings?

Charles
Im trying foamcore sheets at a shoot this week, but Im just going to use my lights with the diffusers and aim them at the foam core to bounce the light back at the model. Playing around to see how it goes. ;)
Ryan Kingston (Guest) is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management