DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Weights/Sandbags/cable ramps (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/83280-weights-sandbags-cable-ramps.html)

Paul Jefferies January 6th, 2007 10:29 AM

Weights/Sandbags/cable ramps

Hi,
Can anyone suggest a good source for cheap weights and sandbags for lighting stands, and cable ramps or mats? I'm UK based

Jon Pavli January 6th, 2007 04:44 PM

How about bags of rice. You can get them anywhere...

Mark Sasahara January 7th, 2007 12:07 AM

You might be able to buy the sandbags unfilled, and then fill them yourself. Norms, a U.S. grip manufacturer sells them. Not sure what grip companies are in the U.K. You'll need a heavy duty sewing awl, the tye used for stitching shoes. I've heard that hotglue works, but I'd try and do both, sew and then glue. Fill them with sanitized sand, or lead shot.

Photoflex and Lowel make water weights. they are plastic bags that can be filled with water and then emptied after the shoot, refilled the next time. Great for travel, but in some places water is precious. I feel weird about using them, so I don't.

Some hardware stores sell premade sandbags for damming, but they use that woven blue tarp material and they probably soon leak all over the place.

I have used dumbell weights with a short rubber truck strap to go through the hole and wrap around the stand's base.

Exercise weights for the arms and ankles. Probably can be found at fairs, boot sales (I think that's what y'all call them) and flea markets.

Kevin Randolph January 7th, 2007 12:24 PM

I love this board!

Mark,
Thanks for the tip on exercise weights for your wrist and ankles. I never would have thought of it. Cheap, durable, and ready-made - the only thing better would be if they came in different weights... Oh wait, they do! Thanks Mark, I'll be buying a set or two at Target today.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Mark Sasahara January 7th, 2007 01:10 PM

Glad I could help.

Check the prices and compare. It might be cheaper to buy a "real" sandbag. Look at your local resources and see who sells grip equipment. Some rental houses are also dealers for the equipment they rent. Call a local rental house and see if they will sell you new sandbags. You don't want to buy used ones, they're beat to sh*t. For a few dollars more, you'll get a very durable weight that's made to do what you want. The exercise weights may fall apart after a while.

Check it out.

Michael Carter January 10th, 2007 08:55 AM

I have several "zipper" sandbags for travel... they're like regular shot bags with a zipper on each pouch. You can fill 'em on location and dump 'em when you pack. I got mine at a big pro photo store, you might try googling those up. (Just peeked at mine, they're made by Tenba, a major camera bag & case co.)

Also, check out www.dvcamerarigs.com... I havne't purchased the book, but they mention "cheap sandbags". The book seems pretty highly regarded by DIY types.