DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 13th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #1
Trustee

Making a ring light with LED's...some advice

I want to make a ring light for the front of my HC1 camera. I have a bunch of LED lights from the electronic's store and I want to fashion them in a series with a battery pack (maybe 2 AAA's) for the off/on. Is there anything I need to know about setting these up in series? Is a plain soldering job with copper wire going to do?

Thanks in advance.
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #2
Wrangler

You don't wire them in series, you wire them in parallel. Check the data sheet for the LEDs that you have. They usually require an inline resistor on the anode side for current limiting.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #3
Trustee

They didn't come with any data sheet. Just the little lites. I have wired them in parallel with a battery casing with 2 AA batteries. They seem to light up well, but I think they aren't quite as bright as they should be. I am probably doing something wrong....
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Generally, LED circuits require a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) driver circuit to modulate the voltage and keep it at a steady frequency. That way they don't flicker with changing voltage from the batteries, until the batteries are almost dead. That's the little IC board you see in all the LED flashlights.

Connecting the LED's in parallel is necessary so that you can use a simple AA battery pack at 3V, and draw more amperage from it than voltage. Otherwise, in series, you would have to keep adding 1.5V battery per LED light.

One more piece of advice: make sure the LED's are 5000K white with a high CRI, otherwise people's skintones will look awful and purple.

24 hours of educational video on 16 DVDs, focused on filmmaking savvy, examples, demonstrations, and tips.
Learn Scriptwriting, Formatting, Editing, Camera Operation, Lighting, Exposure, Audio, and Directing.
Rush Hamden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 10:30 AM   #5
Trustee

The store owner told me they come in micro candles instead of wattage I believe./..

Also just went and bought a slew of dollar store LED key chain lights because the electronic store is closed. They are cheap and pretty bright. Going to see how they turn out...

Last edited by David Delaney; January 14th, 2007 at 01:17 PM.
David Delaney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management