What's up with lighting "kits"? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 29th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #1
Inner Circle

What's up with lighting "kits"?

A random question: what is up with lighting "kits"? I'm browsing B&H, and I see that a lot of so-called kits don't include a good variety of gels (i.e. plusgreen), extension cords, cube tap, c47s, clamps, grip stands, blackwrap, spare bulbs, etc. etc. What's the point of a kit if it doesn't include other handy or essential items? Or am I missing something?
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi There

Well I would guess that most of the kit's like the Lowel ones are designed to provided varying levels of 3 point lighting for a range of budgets.

If the lower cost kits don't include some of the extra items then it's certainly to make them come in at a certain price to remain attractive to potential customers...

That said, I got a basic Lowel kit for about £800 and it has been very useful.. I've since added gels and clamps to my kit, like I'll no doubt add a lamp or two in time... It's like all bits of kit, a way to get started. If you need a more complex set up, all the bits are available separately.. you just need to build your own kit.. but it'll cost more.

Regards
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #3
Major Player

Glenn,

They do not come with all that stuff because it is all subjective: I like Rosco, you like Gam. You want Matthews clamps, I want Avenger... do you see where I am going with this? Your kit has to be your kit so you are happy with it and know what you have and how to use it. It also has to fit your needs and those needs will change. There is no magic do all "lighting kit" (unless you hire six 10 ton grip trucks with everything under the sun in them.) :-)

Bill
Old January 29th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #4
Trustee

Usually it's much cheaper to buy light kits with multiple lights, than to buy each light separately. Agreeing with Bill, it's hard to taylor the perfect kit, as most folks buy a basic kit of lights, then add as needed.
Old January 29th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I agree with Glenn's original gripe. The kits are pared down in price by ommiting common items, but they should include some common accessory kits. It takes a long time to find those extras let alone be sure that they are compatible.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Chan
what is up with lighting "kits"? I'm browsing B&H, and I see that a lot of so-called kits don't include a good variety of gels (i.e. plusgreen), extension cords, cube tap, c47s, clamps, grip stands, blackwrap, spare bulbs, etc. etc. What's the point of a kit if it doesn't include other handy or essential items? Or am I missing something?

That's kind of like saying... What's up with camera kits?
You get a camera, lens, battery and a charger, but they don't include all the other things I need like... 5 extra batteries,
a nice tripod with fluid head, a matte box and 15mm rail system, a nice assortment of filters,
an external monitor, a hard drive recording setup, boxes of tape...

Like someone else already said, it's all subjective.

All the items you listed are very easy to obtain.
I recommend putting together a grip package that suits your own personal needs.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 07:12 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
They do not come with all that stuff because it is all subjective: I like Rosco, you like Gam.
I see your point there. However, some of the Lowel kits include stuff that you may not like... i.e. Lowel stands (tipsy), the umbrellas (not that much light output; spill everywhere), gel holder (+gels), etc. Anyways, not that big a deal. I just don't get the logic of the Lowel kits.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 03:52 AM   #8
Trustee

Glenn,

Just another odd little point.

For a long time, it was only "deep pocket" companies that could afford to shoot video. (Before the "digital revolution.")

Big companies tend to separate purchases into accounting classes.

Actual ligthing heads and basic grip gear like stands, etc. were typically "capitol equipment" budget stuff.

Most of the stuff you mentioned would have probably fallen under "expendables" since it's stuff that's used up or easily broken - and requires ongoing spending to replace.

So ordering a kit of lights and stands would have come from one budget.
Gels, and cables, and gaffers's tape - a different one.

I know that nowadays, a company might bundle a "light kit" with a pack of starter gels, clamps, and even clothes pins (C-47's!), but back in the day, you'd expect a "light kit" to include only the lights and purpose built fitted accessories like barn doors and gel frames, etc.

For what it's worth.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management