Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 13th, 2007, 05:21 AM   #1
Trustee

Luxeon LEDs

Has anyone tried a bulb like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MR16-12-Volt-LUX...QQcmdZViewItem

Luxeon LEDs are relatively new, but they are already being used in Sony's and Varizoom's latest LED video portables.

My intention is to buy a traditional portable light, like the Lowel I-light, and have a LED bulb available for certain situations. The Luxeon might be one.

What do you think?

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #2
Major Player

Why not? Did you ask them what the color temp of the white one is though? Or the warm one? Which one would you get white or warm?
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #3
Inner Circle

luxeon are great, but when they come packaged as you show, they are designed for narrow beam, so they are pretty useless for video.
luxeon come naturally with 120 deg angle and you would need several of them to create a video light.
personally a built one for my FX1 with 8x 1w luxeon.
as most led light, the are good for close subject. over 10 feet, you will hardly see any difference with or without light.
For the temperature, you can choose almost any you need from 3500k to 7000k and can even mix some to get the proper color tem you need.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #4
Major Player

i ordered one last week, i'll try to remember to respond with how it works.
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroud Francois
luxeon are great, but when they come packaged as you show, they are designed for narrow beam, so they are pretty useless for video.
luxeon come naturally with 120 deg angle and you would need several of them to create a video light.
Too wide an angle is not good, because you need to light mostly what is just in front of you.

Quote:
personally a built one for my FX1 with 8x 1w luxeon.
What enclosure did you use to hold them? How did you arrange them? They seem to to need heatsinking. Can you draw the circuit you used to power them?

Quote:
as most led light, the are good for close subject. over 10 feet, you will hardly see any difference with or without light.
Then they are not the equivalent of a 50W lamp.

Quote:
For the temperature, you can choose almost any you need from 3500k to 7000k and can even mix some to get the proper color tem you need.
They seem to be white enough for me. I think they are balanced for 3000K and 5000K.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 11:01 PM   #6
Major Player

luxeon

The luxeon bulbs get hot, unlike most led bulbs. I was looking at various led solutions. One mfg makes a 200 led daylight floodlight that might be helpful, for example. If comes in the usual rectangular fixture for plugging into your garden.
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Vaughn View Post
The luxeon bulbs get hot, unlike most led bulbs.
Yes they do. And they also carry an improved current regulator, which I think it's what really gets hot.

Quote:
I was looking at various led solutions. One mfg makes a 200 led daylight floodlight that might be helpful, for example. If comes in the usual rectangular fixture for plugging into your garden.
Have you got an URL on that one? I lost the one I had on a floodlight I had seen time ago.
Old March 6th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #8
Major Player

200 led

Here it is. http://www.ledtronics.com/ds/gdl002-200/ I talked to the sales rep and he said they can do custom color temps also. I though it might make a good on camera ENG light, but I'd toss the garden case and make a lighter plastic one. Still, even with all those bulbs it might make a nice fill light but maybe not that bright for key, etc. They also make a street light head with more led's. You can buy just the circuit board with the leds. Expensive, however still cheaper than some of the commercial led bank solutions for photo applications.

Last edited by Larry Vaughn; March 6th, 2007 at 10:21 PM. Reason: add info.
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management