bba type photoflood replacement at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 3rd, 2007, 11:08 PM   #1
Major Player

bba type photoflood replacement

I have several softboxes I use for still photography. I use them with White Lightning ultra 1800 strobes, which take regular household bulbs for the modeling lights.

I've been using bba type photoflood bulbs in them, which are 3400k, at least when they are new. They multitask as continuous dv lights. I'll probably convert to higher temp softboxes eventually so I can use brighter bulbs and sell the Ultras.

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive quartz or other alternatives at 3200k, 250 watts or more. Any suggestions?
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #2
Major Player

These all screw into a regular household socket
ECA 250W 3200K most common
ECT 500W 3200K most common. May be to hot for your light heads, use in a
ceramic socket

Less common
BAH 300W

You can also use enlarger bulbs. I don't think the 213 is as bright as the ECA
PH-211 75W 3200k
PH-212 150W 3050k
PH-213 250W 3400k

You may want to consider dedicated speedrings that will take a hotlight. That way you can use higher wattage lamps and not worry about melting your flash gear. Chimera, Wescott and Photoflex all make rings that will take medium screw bulbs. The Chimera and I think Photoflex will take both mogul base and the smaller medium screw base with an adapter.

You can also get a ring that will take a Tota light. I don't like Totas, because they barf light all over the place, but they are great for softboxes, because they barf light all over the place. They fold up very small, so are great for travel. Open face fixtures are best suited for softboxes.
Old March 6th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #3
Major Player

Barfing

Thanks. I like the idea of barfy lights in a softbox. The Ultra modeling light + video combination works for video but not sound. The bulbs make noise when the strobe circuitry is on and there is no way to turn that off and still have the bulbs on. The same bulbs are silent in separate fixtures.

So much for my run whatchya brung mode. I ordered 3 Silverdomes today because they are more heat resistant and instead of buying speedrings I will use the ones I have and mickey mouse up some adapters for my L-lights or SV movie lights and the barfy bulbs. I also ordered some light stand adapters. When I get done, I'll have something that looks and works well without spending lots of jack on brand name light bulb sockets. Hopefully.
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #4
Major Player

Heh, there used to be a film called Barfen, I think it was German.

The Silverdomes will be good. You really don't want to be using your flash softboxes for hotlights, they'll melt in a second and it ain't pretty.

You might be able to rig up something, but you have to weigh ease of use and speed over the cost of a couple of Starlites. I think the Starlites have the ring built in. If it takes too much time and is too fiddly, then it's probably better to get the right gear. You can bump up your fees slightly and make up your cost over time. You want to look professional and also have confidence in your gear. Plus chixxx dig it, which is why we're in this business anyway, right?

If you get the Starlite, you can use their 1K globes, which are Mogul base. With a Mogul to medium base adapter, you can use any medium household bulb in the unit. Between the two, you have an effective wattage range of 7.5W to 1000W. But you also have to carry around whatever bulbs you need, plus a couple spares. Army surplus .30Cal ammo boxes lined with bubble wrap, or foam work well if you are looking for something to put your bulbs in. You can get a smaller suitcase style case and fill it with foam padding.

The Mogul adapter is about 3-6 bucks at your local hardware/electrical shop. The Starlites can be assembled quickly and easily and will give you nice light. For more control you can use the louvers, or eggcrates. You can create barndoors with black wrap, or black Foamcor. Put sticky back velcro on the black Foamcor and you can make your own louvers and barndoors. Buy or make your own flags to keep the spill off the background, or however you want to control it.

Do a little online reserach at B&H's website and your hardware store and see what you can come up with.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management