Light Kit Question... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 12th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #1
Tourist

Light Kit Question...

Hey all...first post here, I'm excited to get involved. I have a quick question.

I am on a budget of about $1,500 and I am looking for a basic lighting kit that can handle a small interview type of shoot. I was checking out some Lowel kits, are they worth the money?

This is the catch, I want to be able to photograph under those same lights. Will it work? I'm kind of a newbie to the whole lighting thing and I'm not sure if lights for video will work for photo to.

Thanks so much in advance for the help, I do apprecaite it.
Alex Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #2
Major Player

I have a Lowell kit and it was worth every cent. They are pretty well thought out and packaged. Mine has gone all over the country and is still holding up pretty well. They also grow pretty well also as more funds become available. Get a kit with a Rifa light in it and that will be great to shoot stills under. I do it all the time. Just set the white balance in the camera for the light that you are using.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #3
Major Player

You might also consider fluorescent too when you need a softer look. Hot lights bake your talent in smaller rooms. Much of all this depends upon where you're doing your work, are you traveling to get there, etc. You need portability and durability if your traveling. If you're fixed you have less expensive options available to you. Portability usually equals more money outlay.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #4
Major Player

$1,500 Light Kit

Vortex Media sells a DVD called "How to Setup, Light & Shoot Great Looking Interviews" Doug Jensen shows you how to light good looking interviews with a "put together" kit for under $1,500. Really works. Definitely worth the price of admission, and I think it would work for stills. www.VortexMedia.com

I built a kit with a couple of small variations: I use a Litepanels mini light instead of a reflector because it makes a good fill and eye light.
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #5
Major Player

I'll have to second Jack's input. I went with the Vortex Media kit and it serves me very well. The one thing that I would ad to this kit is an extra Lowel Pro light and stand. I've found on my last couple of interviews that It would've been nice to throw a contrasting color on the background from another angle. But definitely get ahold of a copy and watch it no matter what you buy, there are some really good tips in there. Also, check out Nino's site www.efplighting.com. He's a newer member here, but an old pro that has probably done interviews that number in the thousands... and he's giving away advice for free. Can't beat that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management