DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Arri light dealers in the UK?

Does anyone know who stocks them in the UK??

Im trying to put together a lightng setup (rather than just buy a redhead kit) and it is suprisingly hard to find UK stockists on the web!

Jim
James Collinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:55 AM   #2
Wrangler

Why not contact their UK office directly? I'm sure they can provide a list of authorized dealers: http://www.arri.com/entry/contact.htm
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:00 PM   #3
Major Player

Have you tried calumet Boyd? Specifically photography but I've hired Arri's from there in the past and I think they probably sell them also...

There's a store in Glasgow:

http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/ctl?ac...p.locID=UK_GLS

apologies if you've already tried this route.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:24 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scattergood View Post
Have you tried calumet Boyd?
Actually it was James who was looking for a dealer... :-)
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:12 PM   #5
Major Player

^^ Of course! Sorry...one of those days!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 04:18 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Excellent! Thats perfect David! Just round the corner from my girlfriends house!
James Collinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:50 AM   #7
Major Player

In case you want some cheap Redheads, get them from Thomann.de

You'll want this:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/dts_quartz_...k_m_buegel.htm
and:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/dts_fluegel..._800_black.htm
and of course:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ge_dxx_stabbrenner.htm

I also got some really great Manfrotto stands, they stopped stocking them now, but there lots of other choice on thomann. The 'Redheads' don't come with any kind of spigot on the yolk so you'll need a thread spigot socket like this:

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/...lsf=17&child=2

Duncan.
Duncan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:37 AM   #8
Major Player

Blimey - they are pretty cheap - are they decent lights?

Quote:
The 'Redheads' don't come with any kind of spigot on the yolk so you'll need a thread spigot socket like this
What's a spigot....or a yolk??!!!
How would you use that Tungsten Stick light?

Cheers Duncan.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:56 AM   #9
Major Player

David...Are you joking? I hope so.. :-0
FFS Read a lighting guide!

Anyway in answer to your question in case you aren't joking, the yolk is the arm that supports the fixture. Spigot is rod/socket attachment than hold the luminaire (via the yolk) to a lighting stand. The 'stick light' is a bulb...you nutter, put it in the redhead and apply 230 volts?!

Are they any good. Well, yes I think so.
I didn't want to blow all my cash on a set of Arri 'Reds' (actually blue in colour) so I put the savings towards a Dedokit (£2000)

Other Redheads perhaps have more control and less spill, but open face lights are hardly the height of sophistication anyway.

These Quartz redhead reflectors seem efficient, they put out as much light as any other readhead.
They had a good kicking in thhe last few months on a couple of building site and shop floor shoots, still in perfect nick!
They are cheap.
The yolk lock is very good, it can lock in stages (weird but kind of useful). The build quality is fine (Italian manufacturer)
They are really cheap
It comes with an illuminated neon switch on the soft heatproof cable.
They cool down very very quickly.
Did I mention they are cheap.

Edit: I see from your previous posts you're aren't joking, sorry if I sound like a twat above, we all start somewhere. Anyway If you're ever passing Yorkshire Television in Leeds I have a company in there. Come in for a natter.

Last edited by Duncan Craig; March 23rd, 2007 at 08:01 AM. Reason: I'm a gobshite
Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:12 AM   #10
Wrangler

Here in the US we call it the "yoke".... a "yolk" is in the middle of an egg :-)
Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:17 AM   #11
Major Player

No Comment!!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:02 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
The 'stick light' is a bulb...you nutter, put it in the redhead and apply 230 volts?!
Sorry...I should've worded it differently, I meant in what situation would you use this over the other bulbs - I know some people are quite keen on the kino's and flourescent type bulbs...but I guess this depends on the effect you're after. Don't worry I'll read up on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Craig View Post
David...Are you joking? I hope so.. :-0
FFS Read a lighting guide!

Anyway in answer to your question in case you aren't joking, the yolk is the arm that supports the fixture. Spigot is rod/socket attachment than hold the luminaire (via the yolk) to a lighting stand....

Are they any good. Well, yes I think so.
I didn't want to blow all my cash on a set of Arri 'Reds' (actually blue in colour) so I put the savings towards a Dedokit (£2000)

Other Redheads perhaps have more control and less spill, but open face lights are hardly the height of sophistication anyway.

These Quartz redhead reflectors seem efficient, they put out as much light as any other readhead.
They had a good kicking in thhe last few months on a couple of building site and shop floor shoots, still in perfect nick!
They are cheap.
The yolk lock is very good, it can lock in stages (weird but kind of useful). The build quality is fine (Italian manufacturer)
They are really cheap
It comes with an illuminated neon switch on the soft heatproof cable.
They cool down very very quickly.
Did I mention they are cheap.

Edit: I see from your previous posts you're aren't joking, sorry if I sound like a twat above, we all start somewhere. Anyway If you're ever passing Yorkshire Television in Leeds I have a company in there. Come in for a natter.
I really want to know whether or not they are cheap though Duncan! :)

I've actually been eyeing up those Dedolights but they are quite pricey...I'm going to take a look at those you have suggested as a starting point perhaps (do they sell softboxes etc?).
Nah...wasn't 'yoking'...Lighting is the next stage in my development really Duncan...I've been spending the last few months learning the camera (JVC HD100...), the FCP suite...Logic Pro 7...(I write music also but last year ditched Cubase on the PC for Logic on the mac) my heads taken a right battering of late. However, since having a few jobs on recently I've barely had the time to think/study and that's probably been for the best - getting out there and doing it all (and all it's associated 'mistakes') has given me the opportunity to learn a hell of a lot in a short space of time.
I thought I'd get in early with lighting questions just in case something arose in the department. I have a lighting workshop DVD to go through and numerour website guides to read (I should source a book from ebay also).

Yes, my 'studio' is currently taking over the master bedroom...oh to get a larger studio. You have a place in Yorkshire TV - that's great Duncan.
I like Leeds and due a trip over there in the near future.
Cheers fella.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:17 AM   #13
Major Player

Redheads are open face lights. This means the bulb simply throws out the light and it falls out the front! They can be used to light very large areas.
Bounce the light off a white ceiling for a soft white base light, then accentuate with dedos or spotlights.

But there is very little focusing or control available, and so they spill can simply spill all over the set. A barndoor gives you some control, but blackwrap (an expensive/fancy heatproof black tinfoil) can help to mask off problem areas. You can also cut stris and holes in balck wrap to act a a gobo. For texture/effects on wall etc.

So they basically throw out a lot of light. And are very efficient, but lack finnesse. Still everyone has them in their kit.

The small fresnel type Dedolights will be of little use without redheads to do all the leg work... unless you are wanting a minimalistic look, full of shadow.

You can fit softboxes to redheads, via the correct speedring - a plate that fits into the redheads filter slot, or around the whole redhead. Redheads get very hot so don't use cheap softboxes. Personally I hire chimera softboxes along with Arri redheads (I don't think they would fit these cheap redheads)

Or I use filter sheets on my heads, some medium frost (Like tracing paper) and 1/2 CTB (Colour Temperature Blue). This softens the light and corrects is half way towards daylight. http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Color-Corr.../dp/B000GQ3JWE

Most places I film are run and gun commercials, with installed flourescent and tungsten lighting and daylight coming in too! So it's always a challenge.
Once the lights are up, I use my Sony Z1 top monitor to check the colour. And use the white balance offset feature. It works really well!

Where possible I'll light in tungsten (as the CTB looses a stop or so (IIRC))
And then minor colour correction can be done on FCP later.

It sounds like you should get Redheads first then look and some spotlights or small fresnels. The Britek spots are OK. http://www.briteklight.com/minispotg3000.html
Or expensive (but really good) Arri Juniors like this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/arri_junior_300_plus.htm

Once you have lit a few jobs decide where your kit is lacking. Softer light, more control. Too hot, not bright enough. Too heavy...
Then come back for more advice.

There really is no single set of lights that will do everything.

Duncan.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:58 AM   #14
Major Player

Thanks Duncan. This is kind of merging into my 'implementing light set up' thread (sorry everyone!), but I'm beginning to get the idea now. I wouldn't mind getting a redhead (but hopefully one that can accomodate a soft box) then a couple of spots/fresnels. The last couple of days in the photon boards has somehow unravelled by initial, stark cluelessness!
I only did one job of late which required lighting - a mixture of flourescents and halogens...I really didn't have a clue (stuck on a couple of blue gels on the 2x arri redheads and hoped for the best). This was a much smaller job (and not with my current camera) but didn't turn out too bad...the sound from a nearby construction site was more of an issue that day.
You recommended a couple of spots which I'll look into Duncan, but didn't point towards the dedo's....are these more expensive again?
Do you have a company website by the way?

Appreciate your time and help.
Thanks.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management