Shooting with Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs). - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 14th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #46
Trustee

I'm also going to double check the wattage of the largest bulb I can get from GE...their website says 26, but I'm sure I found one bigger at target.
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Fresnel Bulbs? Wattage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Andrewski View Post

[snippet]
Now you know why I'm moving into other areas of attack. I knew after a while we would need a "hardlight" solution but I'm not going to sell tungsten. Everyone else can if they want but I'm heading in more interesting directions. We can get you a 150w fresnel for significantly under $2000 and most likely under $1000. We may even be able to do the 60w single LED fresnel under $1000. And how about this, maybe even with a choice between 3200K and 5600K.
Richard - I was rereading this thread and thought of a question I have wanted to ask you about your new endeavors. Above, you talk about a "150w fresnel..." and I was wondering what kind of a bulb you were indicating in that. Also, do you mean an actual 150 watts of a tungsten equivalent? Because, unless I have it wrong, you can get an Arri fresnel (tungsten, of course) at 150 watts for way less than $1000.

I, for one, am very eager to see your new developments. I am in a position to wait (a little) to make some lighting investments and your new product ideas sound especially attractive. Keep us posted.

Thanks.
TVH
Terry VerHaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry VerHaar View Post
Richard - I was rereading this thread and thought of a question I have wanted to ask you about your new endeavors. Above, you talk about a "150w fresnel..." and I was wondering what kind of a bulb you were indicating in that. Also, do you mean an actual 150 watts of a tungsten equivalent? Because, unless I have it wrong, you can get an Arri fresnel (tungsten, of course) at 150 watts for way less than $1000.

I, for one, am very eager to see your new developments. I am in a position to wait (a little) to make some lighting investments and your new product ideas sound especially attractive. Keep us posted.

Thanks.
TVH
Hi Terry,

One thing you can count on, I never quote a product equivalent wattage up front and I always state that its equivalent wattage when I talk about a higher one. The 150w is a ceramic metal halide 150w bulb/ballast in a fresnel fixture. With metal halide you have from 80 to 140 lumens per watt. I usually quote 3 times for equivalent with HMI or metal halide to be conservative so the 150w actual is almost a 500w tungsten equivalent.

In addition, its not really a "cool light" as such. I call it a "relatively cool light" and certainly way more energy efficient than tungsten (which there are plenty of other people supporting so I don't see why I need to jump on that wagon). It's energy efficient in lumens per watt but it still puts out a lot of heat so we still need a bit of aircon to displace it's heat. Why? UV is the reason. These bulbs emit a lot of UV. Anything that emits UV is a great heat generator. It's why we'll have some kind of UV protection on our glass of these fixtures. This technology is about the most energy efficient point light source we have at the moment besides the 60w MLED I'm also working on--but that's only 60w and I don't know when we'll see bigger.

So, less than $1000 for a tungsten wouldn't be any news at all--you're right. You can find $200 brand new tungsten fresnels and even less in some cases. I meant we will break sub-$1000 prices for an HMI generic equivalent--ceramic metal halide. I'm not sure I can promise hot restrike yet though for the 150 but hot restrike may be possible on the larger wattage pars I have planned (575w and 1200w). What does "generic equivalent" mean? It means that HMI is by no means a proprietary technology (just a trademark that's way overused by some fixture manufacturers) and there have been other competitors in the same technology family which is basically ceramic metal halide for quite some time now. I wrote a Part I article on this recently:

http://www.coollights.biz/wordpress/archives/31#more-31

I'm completing part II very soon. What I'm basically saying is that you can find other less expensive HMI equivalent parts (bulb and ballast) to do the same thing just like you can find generic drugs that are cheaper than the original name brand...
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:06 PM   #49
New Boot

200 W Cfl 5500k Cri90

Not cheap but look at this beauty:

http://www.teksupply.com/webapp/wcs/...7C35054&isDoc=

or try this link:

http://tinyurl.com/2a4lnx
Steve London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:28 PM   #50
Major Player

Yes, you can use that one in my softbox fixture, the CL-SFT1. It's one of the ones I recommend to use with it. The other one is pretty good too and is quite a bit less but it seems like its back ordered a lot.

http://www.servicelighting.com/catal...m?prod=MX35871
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management