DV Info Net

DV Info Net (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   NRG Varalux Pro and wall power? (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/91351-nrg-varalux-pro-wall-power.html)

Michael Liebergot April 12th, 2007 10:56 AM

NRG Varalux Pro and wall power?
 
I was curious if there is a way that might enable me to run my NRG Varalux Pro off of power from a wall outlet instead of my battery belt?

Mark Holland April 12th, 2007 11:21 AM

Maybe...you'll need a power supply that can provide about 8 to 10 amps at 12 volts. It might be expensive! You might try a boat battery instead. You'll get better deep cycle discharge capabilities and you should have plenty of current to keep the light going for quite a while. You can get a plastic case with handles on it at your local boat equipment supplier. Add the proper connector (xlr4 or cigar) and you're in business!

Good luck!

Mark

Ok, based on George's response below, maybe I need to clarify. The power supply he refers to will indeed run the Varalux Pro light. It won't however, be capable of powering it at full power. As I said above, you'll need at least an 8 amp supply to get the full 100 watts. M

George Bean April 12th, 2007 11:22 AM

sure can, get a 120 volt ac to 12 volt dc power supply. Radio Shack and other vendors have these for a reasonable cost. For convenience I have the power supply with a cigarette plug. Be sure the supply is rated for 3 amps or higher.

My nrg light is the xlr plug so I soldered an adapter from an old cell phone charger to connect form the cigarette plug of the power supply to the xlr of the light.

hope this helps

Michael Liebergot April 13th, 2007 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Bean (Post 658961)
sure can, get a 120 volt ac to 12 volt dc power supply. Radio Shack and other vendors have these for a reasonable cost. For convenience I have the power supply with a cigarette plug. Be sure the supply is rated for 3 amps or higher.

My nrg light is the xlr plug so I soldered an adapter from an old cell phone charger to connect form the cigarette plug of the power supply to the xlr of the light.

hope this helps

Would either of these work?

http://www.adorama.com/KD12VAC1245.html
http://www.adorama.com/KD12VAC12DC.html

I also have the XLR VAralux Pro and was going to use this jumper for XLR to Cigarette plug conversion.

http://www.adorama.com/NR0471603.htm...4716&item_no=3

Mark Holland April 13th, 2007 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot (Post 659575)
Would either of these work?

http://www.adorama.com/KD12VAC1245.html
http://www.adorama.com/KD12VAC12DC.html

I also have the XLR VAralux Pro and was going to use this jumper for XLR to Cigarette plug conversion.

http://www.adorama.com/NR0471603.htm...4716&item_no=3

Now your talking! That second one rated at 10 amps should work nicely!

Michael Liebergot April 13th, 2007 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Holland (Post 659576)
Now your talking! That second one rated at 10 amps should work nicely!

That's waht I thought but the only thing I wasn't sure about was the polarity of the connections, as NRG sent me this reply.

"You may power your Varalux-Pro from a wall outlet if you use a power converter to convert the 120V AC to 12V DC. Just make sure the polarity
matches that of the Varalux to prevent reverse polarity that would
damage your Varalux. If you have a 4pin connector on your Varalux, the
#4 pin is positive and the #1 pin is negative. If you have a cigarette
lighter connector on your light, the outer post is negative and the tip
is positive. It is imperative that the polarities match, otherwise, the
capacitor in the Varalux will blow and will need to be replaced."

Would the Varalux Jumper work in this case if I had to use Cigarette to XLR connections?

Mark Holland April 13th, 2007 11:19 AM

Looks like it should. Just to be positive, check it with a meter before you use it. If you're not sure how to do that, I'll be glad to talk you through it. (Sorry, no insult to your abilities intended, I just don't know your skill level.)

Oh, and I'm not sure if your light has a male or female connector, so I can't say for sure that the adapter you gave the link for is THE adapter you need.

Ok I looked it up. It seems the light has a 4 pin MALE XLR connector, so the adapter you linked looks like EXACTLY what you'll need.

Michael Liebergot April 13th, 2007 01:36 PM

Actually just purchased this from Adorama.

NRG Power Station
http://www.adorama.com/NR12910014.html

It's small enough for travel, and gives me the option of both XLR or Cigarette ports.
Also being NRG it's wired properly for my Varalux light.
It will output 8.3 amps of power, so I can run my Varalux light at 100 watt power if needed.
Expensive, but will do the trick nicely.

Mark Holland April 16th, 2007 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot (Post 659661)
Actually just purchased this from Adorama.

NRG Power Station
http://www.adorama.com/NR12910014.html

It's small enough for travel, and gives me the option of both XLR or Cigarette ports.
Also being NRG it's wired properly for my Varalux light.
It will output 8.3 amps of power, so I can run my Varalux light at 100 watt power if needed.
Expensive, but will do the trick nicely.


That units looks nice, it outta do the trick for you! Good luck!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:04 PM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2018 The Digital Video Information Network