NRG Varalux Pro and wall power? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 12th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #1
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,505
NRG Varalux Pro and wall power?

I was curious if there is a way that might enable me to run my NRG Varalux Pro off of power from a wall outlet instead of my battery belt?
__________________
Michael
www.lvpvideo.com
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Posts: 301
Maybe...you'll need a power supply that can provide about 8 to 10 amps at 12 volts. It might be expensive! You might try a boat battery instead. You'll get better deep cycle discharge capabilities and you should have plenty of current to keep the light going for quite a while. You can get a plastic case with handles on it at your local boat equipment supplier. Add the proper connector (xlr4 or cigar) and you're in business!

Good luck!

Mark

Ok, based on George's response below, maybe I need to clarify. The power supply he refers to will indeed run the Varalux Pro light. It won't however, be capable of powering it at full power. As I said above, you'll need at least an 8 amp supply to get the full 100 watts. M

Last edited by Mark Holland; April 12th, 2007 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Clarification
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 12:22 PM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 247
sure can, get a 120 volt ac to 12 volt dc power supply. Radio Shack and other vendors have these for a reasonable cost. For convenience I have the power supply with a cigarette plug. Be sure the supply is rated for 3 amps or higher.

My nrg light is the xlr plug so I soldered an adapter from an old cell phone charger to connect form the cigarette plug of the power supply to the xlr of the light.

hope this helps
George Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 12:05 PM   #4
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bean View Post
sure can, get a 120 volt ac to 12 volt dc power supply. Radio Shack and other vendors have these for a reasonable cost. For convenience I have the power supply with a cigarette plug. Be sure the supply is rated for 3 amps or higher.

My nrg light is the xlr plug so I soldered an adapter from an old cell phone charger to connect form the cigarette plug of the power supply to the xlr of the light.

hope this helps
Would either of these work?

http://www.adorama.com/KD12VAC1245.html
http://www.adorama.com/KD12VAC12DC.html

I also have the XLR VAralux Pro and was going to use this jumper for XLR to Cigarette plug conversion.

http://www.adorama.com/NR0471603.htm...4716&item_no=3
__________________
Michael
www.lvpvideo.com
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
Would either of these work?

http://www.adorama.com/KD12VAC1245.html
http://www.adorama.com/KD12VAC12DC.html

I also have the XLR VAralux Pro and was going to use this jumper for XLR to Cigarette plug conversion.

http://www.adorama.com/NR0471603.htm...4716&item_no=3
Now your talking! That second one rated at 10 amps should work nicely!
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #6
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Holland View Post
Now your talking! That second one rated at 10 amps should work nicely!
That's waht I thought but the only thing I wasn't sure about was the polarity of the connections, as NRG sent me this reply.

"You may power your Varalux-Pro from a wall outlet if you use a power converter to convert the 120V AC to 12V DC. Just make sure the polarity
matches that of the Varalux to prevent reverse polarity that would
damage your Varalux. If you have a 4pin connector on your Varalux, the
#4 pin is positive and the #1 pin is negative. If you have a cigarette
lighter connector on your light, the outer post is negative and the tip
is positive. It is imperative that the polarities match, otherwise, the
capacitor in the Varalux will blow and will need to be replaced."

Would the Varalux Jumper work in this case if I had to use Cigarette to XLR connections?
__________________
Michael
www.lvpvideo.com
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Posts: 301
Looks like it should. Just to be positive, check it with a meter before you use it. If you're not sure how to do that, I'll be glad to talk you through it. (Sorry, no insult to your abilities intended, I just don't know your skill level.)

Oh, and I'm not sure if your light has a male or female connector, so I can't say for sure that the adapter you gave the link for is THE adapter you need.

Ok I looked it up. It seems the light has a 4 pin MALE XLR connector, so the adapter you linked looks like EXACTLY what you'll need.
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #8
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,505
Actually just purchased this from Adorama.

NRG Power Station
http://www.adorama.com/NR12910014.html

It's small enough for travel, and gives me the option of both XLR or Cigarette ports.
Also being NRG it's wired properly for my Varalux light.
It will output 8.3 amps of power, so I can run my Varalux light at 100 watt power if needed.
Expensive, but will do the trick nicely.
__________________
Michael
www.lvpvideo.com
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
Actually just purchased this from Adorama.

NRG Power Station
http://www.adorama.com/NR12910014.html

It's small enough for travel, and gives me the option of both XLR or Cigarette ports.
Also being NRG it's wired properly for my Varalux light.
It will output 8.3 amps of power, so I can run my Varalux light at 100 watt power if needed.
Expensive, but will do the trick nicely.

That units looks nice, it outta do the trick for you! Good luck!
Mark Holland is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:38 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network