DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   barn doors, accessory holder and scrims for Red Head? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/92331-barn-doors-accessory-holder-scrims-red-head.html)

Ty Ford April 24th, 2007 07:18 PM

barn doors, accessory holder and scrims for Red Head?

I have a 1k Red Head. I have relamped it to 650 W, does anyone know of a source for barn doors, accessory holder and some scrims.

Regards,

Ty Ford

David W. Jones April 24th, 2007 08:31 PM

Ty, if it were me, I would look at something like a Chimera or Photoflex soft-box and speed-ring. A medium or small would give you a very nice quality soft light from the 650 or the 1k. Add an egg-crate grid to control light spill, and you have a very useably source.
And down the road different speed-rings can be purchased to adapt the soft-box to other lights you may wish to use.

Brian Standing April 24th, 2007 08:35 PM

I have a pair of these as well, and was a bit frustrated finding accessories here in the States. Then I realized that it's a pretty standard mount.
Anything with a circular 6 1/2" or 6 5/8" interface will work.

(Accessories for Altman 650L, Arri Par 200, Arrisun 2, HMI 200, Plus 650, K5600 Joker 400, Photon Beard 800, Strand Supernove 2001 & Bambino 650 should all fit your Redhead just fine.)

Here are manufacturer part numbers for some of the things you might need. I'm sure you can find them at your favorite lighting retailer.

Altman Barn Doors
Mfr# F4BD4

Matthews makes 6 5/8" circular wire scrims that will fit.
- Mfr# 435200 (full single)
- Mfr# 435202 (full double)
- Mfr# 435203 (half double)

Chimera Speed Ring.
- Mfr # 9670

I know B&H has all of the above parts. The one thing I haven't been able to find is an accessory holder -- mine came with accessory holders installed. You might also try www.ianiro.com, (in Italy), as they are the original manufacturers of the Redheads.

Richard Andrewski April 25th, 2007 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David W. Jones (Post 666832)
Ty, if it were me, I would look at something like a Chimera or Photoflex soft-box and speed-ring. A medium or small would give you a very nice quality soft light from the 650 or the 1k. Add an egg-crate grid to control light spill, and you have a very useably source.
And down the road different speed-rings can be purchased to adapt the soft-box to other lights you may wish to use.

How big of a speedring would you need to put a softbox on a redhead? I've never seen one up close but they seem to have such a wide open face. Doesn't seem like it would be easy to find a softbox to work with it.

Brian Standing April 25th, 2007 06:17 AM

See above for the Chimera part number. The 6 1/2" speed ring slides into the accessory holder on the face of the light. I have a small Chimera and this set up works better on my Redhead than it does on my Lowel V-Light, simply because the tilt head on the larger light is a bit heavier duty, and takes the extra weight of the Chimera better.

Ty Ford April 25th, 2007 06:36 AM

OK, thanks!

If I'm getting scrims and barn doors, I guess I need the accessory holder for scrims. Do the barn doors then attach to the accessory holder?

Thanks,

Ty Ford

Craig Irving April 25th, 2007 07:05 AM

Well, I just ordered an Ianiro Redhead for myself recently.

I'm getting the impression that you can put scrims into either the accessory holder, or the safety screen (about $35 cheaper in Canada).

Since I opted to get the barndoor w/ safety screen add-on, I figure I won't need to buy the accessory holder and I can just put my scrims into the safety screen.

But I have yet to confirm this with someone, verbally.

Brian: Thanks for the tip on scrim compatibility too. Because I'm also getting an Arri Jr 650 Plus and I didn't know I could interchange scrims between that and the Redhead!

Brian Standing April 25th, 2007 07:38 AM

Yeah, the scrims and barn doors all slide into the accessory holder. It's possible some other accessory holders will work, too

(Like this one, maybe? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search)

The safety screen is a simple wire mesh screen that screws directly onto the face of the instrument. So, if you want to add barn doors, or scrims, you'll need the accessory holder as well.

I don't have my light in front of me so I can't tell for sure right now how the holder attaches to the front of the instrument. After I get home tonight, I'll see if I can see how it fits, and I'll post back here.

I haven't found a Ianiro dealer in the U.S. yet (lots in Canada, but none of them ship to the U.S.), so if some of the other gear doesn't fit, you may have to order from overseas.
Ianiro U.K. (Libec Europe?) seems to have an online store. I don't know if they ship internationally or not.

Here's the link to the Ianiro U.K. accessory catalog
http://libeceurope.com/acatalog/Aluminium.html

Craig Irving April 25th, 2007 07:54 AM

I'm actually having a hard time deciding between the redhead and the Lowel DP (which by spec seems to have more focusing ability).

Strange though, since they're both open-faced and I thought they were all roughly equal, which is why I didn't invest another $50 to get the ArriLite instead.

I saw "1/2 Double Scrim for Safety Holder - $30 - order in" on a website for a dealer here in Toronto so I figured it was actually for the safety holder since all the other scrims say "for accessory holder".

However now that I have to factor in the cost of the accessory holder, should I just go with the ArriLite? At first I thought the redhead would be cheaper.

Brian Standing April 25th, 2007 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Irving (Post 667091)
I saw "1/2 Double Scrim for Safety Holder - $30 - order in" on a website for a dealer here in Toronto so I figured it was actually for the safety holder since all the other scrims say "for accessory holder".

Looking at the Ianiro catalog again more closely, it looks like there are a few options available:

Part Number 801: "Four leaf barndoor/wire guard assembly"

Part Number 118: "Wire guard with holder ring for barndoors and other accessories."

Part Number 183: "Accessory holder" (This is what I have.)

Part Number 195: "Wire guard." (This what I have, the flat screen that screws onto the face of the light.)

So, Craig, maybe you have Part Number 118? You might want to double check with your dealer. If you do get the Redhead with that wire guard/accessory holder, I'd be interested to know the diameter of the accessory slots and how many slots they give you on that part.

FWIW, I purchased my Redheads used (from the DVInfo Classifieds, actually), and they came with the accessory holders, 1 barn door, a snoot and wire guards. They also came with two removable fresnel lenses (Part Number 805 -- I think) that slide into the accessory holder. These are really sweet, since they give you the option of using the lights as either open-face or fresnel instruments. The lenses are thick glass and seem to be very well made.

One word of caution: it's really tempting to use the accessory holder for gels in a standard 6.5" gel frame. However, the slots are too close to the bulb and (at least with 650W bulbs), the gels melt. Better to clip them on the barn doors instead.

Hope this helps!

Ty Ford April 25th, 2007 08:23 AM

Thanks so much and DO LET ME KNOW.

Regards,

Ty

Craig Irving April 25th, 2007 08:40 AM

I'll call the dealer later this morning to see if he could explain it more, and maybe even provide me with a part number.

Assuming you are correct though and I do need an accessory holder, I may actually decide to go with the ArriLite instead as it would end up being cheaper than the Ianiro Redhead (and I'm under the assumption Arri is better).

If both items were available in the states, and were the same cost. Would you think more people would buy the Redhead or the ArriLite?

Brian Standing April 25th, 2007 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Irving (Post 667123)
If both items were available in the states, and were the same cost. Would you think more people would buy the Redhead or the ArriLite?

In the States, probably the ArriLite, just because it's easier to get parts. In Canada, where you seem to have lots of Ianiro dealers, I'd say it's a wash. The specs look pretty similar to me. Whatever's cheaper or you prefer.

Ty Ford April 25th, 2007 09:54 AM

For me, since I was given the Red Head, I guess moving forward and getting the acessories would be better, if the cost isn't that much diffferent.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Craig Irving April 25th, 2007 09:56 AM

Yeah, sorry Ty. I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I was just eager to get your opinions on a purchase I'm making very very shortly and noticed it was more or less on topic.

Redheads are a staple and I would definetely say you're in a great position just to buy the barndoor/accessory add-ons and you'll have a great tool there.