DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Does B&H sell this on-camera light? And is it a good one? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/93689-does-b-h-sell-camera-light-good-one.html)

John Hewat May 10th, 2007 12:48 AM

Does B&H sell this on-camera light? And is it a good one?

This light looks great and comes with its own FP970 battery which powers it and the camera at the same time.

I can't find it anywhere but at Videoguys in Melbourne and I want to know if I'll save money by buying it from B&H but can't find it on their site.

Has anyone used it? I need one for weddings and am considering this one.

Daniel Epstein May 10th, 2007 07:45 AM

Assuming that Ianiro is the company I think it is I have seen B+H carry other lights from the same manufacturer. You should contact B+H directly to find out if they are gong to carry it. It looks very similar to Frezzi's Sungun

Tyson Persall May 11th, 2007 01:27 PM

I wouldn't buy an on camera light without a dimmer. You don't want to blind your subjects when shooting close up and when shooting a wide shot in a dark hall you want to be able to throw out enough light to fill the entire scene. \
The light i use for event video is Luxmen MPL645 with Bescor battery belt. It fades from 50w down to 10w. When shooting Im constantly adjusting it from shot to shot. The barndoors allow you to attach diffusion. When close up on people i fade it down to 10w.
The main downside is that it requires a heavy battery belt. But the plus side is that a battery belt can power both the camera and light pretty much all day long. Again, Your back will be killing you after a full days work. I put the belt in a backpack to support it all better.
There may be better solutions (more expensive) but thats what im using for about $300.

John Hewat May 11th, 2007 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson Persall (Post 677448)
I wouldn't buy an on camera light without a dimmer. You don't want to blind your subjects when shooting close up and when shooting a wide shot in a dark hall you want to be able to throw out enough light to fill the entire scene.

This one only has 10w - 20w. Is that not enough?

Graeme Fullick May 12th, 2007 01:30 AM

John,

I am using the Sony 10/20W light that is also powered by any Sony F series battery. I bought it on the net for $140. I use a diffuser at weddings (it attaches straight on the front and only cost $30 at B&H), and it is fine for close up work (up to 3 meters), but if you want anything furhter away illuminated you will need more grunt. I find any more than 20W tends to take you "deer spotting" at weddings, so I wouldn't recommend a stronger light most of the time.

I have a 300W lowell softbox (Rifa light) for illuminating small areas, but this is obviously only OK if you are in a fixed position such as speeches. I also have a 300W dimmable light that is mains powered that can be moved a bit as it mounts on top of the camera. I shine this directly off the roof provided that the ceiling is not too high, and it gives a very nice even illumination.

If you want to use more than 20W - go off the ceiling. The wedding guests will thank you for it.

Hope this helps,

Marshall Levy May 21st, 2007 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Hewat (Post 676343)
This light looks great and comes with its own FP970 battery which powers it and the camera at the same time.

I can't find it anywhere but at Videoguys in Melbourne and I want to know if I'll save money by buying it from B&H but can't find it on their site.

Has anyone used it? I need one for weddings and am considering this one.

Armatos makes something that looks just like it. The have a proprietary adapter that outfits a standard Sony-compatible battery with the same type of light. It's a 10W light but is amplified to a 20W equivalent. It's a decent light but will show side dropoffs for widescreen production.