Green and Blue Key at the same time- can it be done? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 19th, 2007, 04:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Green and Blue Key at the same time- can it be done?

I'm interested in creating a prop that would have both green and blue painted sections so that differnt video sources can be keyed in. I don't do much keying and have never seen this so wanted to know if it's possible.
Bill Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 05:09 AM   #2
Major Player

I think this is possible with two passes. 1 pass for keying in the blue source and then run that resulting composite video through a second pass in the same software for keying into the green source. This final result should have the two composites in it. I don't see why this wouldn't work. The other thing to realize is that if the prop isn't locked down (and your camera too), the key will look really cheezy. You may have already realized that though.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I believe Rodriguez did this on sin city, even using 3 colors, also the orange/red kinda color. For instance the background green and orange glasses to create that effect on the glasses of the Elijah Wood character, next to all the other fx
Old May 19th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #4
Major Player

Yes I thought about that too. No reason red wouldn't work as long as it's not in any of the other foreground subjects or elements. Then you get 3 passes.
Old May 19th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #5
Trustee

Sometimes the more you overthink these things, the harder you make it on yourself.

There's no law that say you have to fill a single keyed object with a single background plate.

With virtually all of today's NLE software execlling at garbage matts - why not just key on one color and pull various matts to isolate the scenes you want to key to different content?

A modern NLE has virtually unlimted layers. Add that to unlimited matts and there's no reason you can't take a pair of green glasses and file one lens with one source and the other lens with another source.

Add motion paths, and you can key anything into anything, even if it's moving.

Offhand, I can't think of a reason I'd need separate KEY COLORS to do what is being discussed.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #6
Major Player

Because he said he's inexperienced. He probably doesn't know about keyframing and motion paths yet. Those are a bit advanced subjects for someone new to keying. You still have to do two passes even with garbage mattes/rotoscoping too.
Old May 28th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Bill listen to Bill. 2 different chroma keys is silly, 3 is pure comedy. Seriously, a red, blue, and green screen????? What part of the image do you plan on keeping? Once you've created the matte you can do whatever you want. More screen colors will only make it harder to pull a key. Once you've actually done some greenscreen work you'll realize why more screens=more problems. Keep It Simple Sir. Good Luck, Charles.
Charles Hurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #8
Major Player

For this particular application, I'd think the best option would be to use masks with slightly blended edges and not have to worry about keying at all. Depending on the shot, you might be able to save yourself a whole heck of a lot of headache this way. You wouldn't have to evenly light the prop at all, nor would you need to spend any time painting the prop. There might be a little extra time in post (or maybe not, depending on your skill/experience levels at masking and keying), but unless you're paying someone mucho dinero to do your post for you, post time is likely going to be cheaper than production time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management