DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 30th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #1
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

LitePanels

TapeWorks Texas Inc is considering becoming a LitePanels dealer. I was able to view their product line at NAB2007 and they look like they are manufacturing quality products. I have also been researching their website at www.litepanels.com and they seem to have various kits and accessories that can meet various applications.

TapeWorks has had a couple requests from our clientele regarding LitePanels products. Before trying to become a LitePanels dealer, I was wondering if anyone here on the dvinfo network is currently using LitePanels Products. If so, please provide your pro's and con's of their product line. This will assist TapeWorks on wether or not to recommend the product to others. Any feedback on LitePanels products from end-users will be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, if you are interested in purchasing a LitePanels Kit, Please contact me as this can assist the buy-in that is required to become a dealer. Please email me at scott@tapeworkstexas.com or call toll free 866-827-3489 and I will be able to provide pricing.

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
TapeWorks Texas Inc - HDVinfo Sponser

Last edited by Scott Cantrell; May 30th, 2007 at 01:29 PM.
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:25 AM   #2
Major Player

I don't have nor ever demo'd any litepanel product... but I find myself checking them out from time to time as they look very tempting.

One thing that I find missing from any spec or review is a guide to how much light they produce... foot candles or lumins at particular distance would be very helpful as I hesitate to purchase a $1k light without a reference point to it's throw.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 10:01 AM   #3
Wrangler

I have seen photometrics charts on the Litepanels site in the past, can't find it now, but there is one here; however I think this is for the pre-Plus version of the Mini so the numbers should be higher now.

I have a Mini Litepanel and love it. They are an industry leader and while their products are considered too expensive by many DV users, they are in widespread use elsewhere in the industry.
Old May 31st, 2007, 10:47 AM   #4
Major Player

thanks charles...

any info on the 1X1 panel? looked but can't find.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 02:12 PM   #5
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Charles, thank you for your input!
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #6
New Boot

I just got a miniplus today. neat. Now I read this announcement at http://www.tvtechnology.com/pages/s.0019/t.1694.html

My battery doesn't have the five step bar graph «fuel gauge». Did I get an old battery? Did any of you guys get this famous fuel gauge battery?
Thanks, Christopher
Attached Thumbnails
LitePanels-tvtech.jpg  
Christopher Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #7
DVCreators.Net

Anything shipping today should include the newer style batteries with LED indicators showing the status.

The Mini itself should also have a miniplug looking input jack for the new hardwired dimmer control....otherwise you got hosed and it's not the newer, 2nd generation models which are 25% brighter

Here's a link to a video on the first generation models with the velcro filter holders http://link.brightcove.com/services/...bctid187743882
Old June 6th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #8
New Boot

Thanks for your response - it's got that jack looking input and no velcro filter holders. So there's hoping I got a new light but just an old style battery, right?
I don't know...dealers...
Christopher Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #9
Major Player

LitePanel Mini

I have had one for a year, since NAB 2006. It is expensive, but an outstanding piece of gear. I use it as an eye light and fill both inside and out. I have the spot version because I like the throw of the light better, and the daylight version. The filters are great and easy to use. The LED technology is cool to the touch, and is dimmable without changing color temperature. It is the one light I carry with me at all times. I use two Sony 550 batteries and the light will easily run an hour or more at full bore. Well worth the investment. I managed to drop it once, and the Litepanel support guys had the light back to me in two days, upgraded to the latest specs after I broke the dimmer switch These guys are winners.

Last edited by Jack D. Hubbard; June 6th, 2007 at 05:58 PM. Reason: grammar fix
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #10
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Kuhn View Post
Thanks for your response - it's got that jack looking input and no velcro filter holders. So there's hoping I got a new light but just an old style battery, right?
I don't know...dealers...
Awesome. You have the 2nd generation Mini. The battery life of the 1st generation and 2nd generation batteries is the same, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. if youare, you can always ask the dealer to swap you for a new one, they should be cool about it...
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Christopher | Jack | or Guy...i'm looking into purchasing a litepanel mini as well and would like to see some screen shots/action shots demostrating its ability. i can't seem to find anything online to give me a good representation of how well it really works. i'm trying to find someplace in Dallas to be able to rent one for the weekend before i buy one. Thanks.
Zach Stewart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management