DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Pure white R7S halogen lights for my worklights, where? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/96732-pure-white-r7s-halogen-lights-my-worklights-where.html)

Reese Leysen June 17th, 2007 10:34 AM

Pure white R7S halogen lights for my worklights, where?

I have worklights and with some diffusion and reflection they work great to light scenes but I'm using standard bulbs and I could really use pure white bulbs for them. But I can't seem to find these anywhere, any ideas? (they have to be 240v, 500watt)

Daniel Epstein June 17th, 2007 04:36 PM

Reese I don't know what you mean by "pure white" in your post. Halogen lamps are 3200K usually while incandescent bulbs are anywhere from 2400K to 2900K. Daylight HMI bulbs (5600K) are not usually made for consumer units although there might be some enterprising european company which can start making them.

Jasmine Marie Adams June 18th, 2007 05:02 PM

Odd, my partner said they'd had some daylight hallogens put in at the nursery.

Are you finding your worklights put out too much light? What size bulbs are you using?

Reese Leysen June 19th, 2007 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasmine Marie Adams (Post 698708)
Odd, my partner said they'd had some daylight hallogens put in at the nursery.

Are you finding your worklights put out too much light? What size bulbs are you using?

It's the standard R7S worklight bulbs, my only problem with them is that they're too warm.

Richard Andrewski June 19th, 2007 06:08 PM

No such thing as a daylight tungsten at all other than some Photoflood products that are blue tinted and those use an edison type E26 socket.

Any daylight, hot burning light, pretty much has to be a metal halide derivative of some sort, of which there are many including the well-known "HMI" from Osram. All these bulbs require a ballast to operate them whereas Halogen tungsten are driven from line voltage directly so there isn't a one-to-one swap out without adding a ballast somewhere in the circuit before the lamp. Furthermore, the R7S sockets in a halogen lamp like your worklight are made for line voltage use. There are special metal halide double ended bulbs which use the same type of socket, but a much more beefy and expensive "HID" version that can withstand the higher starting voltage pulses required by metal halide. So you can't just add a ballast to your worklight and then add a metal halide without expecting to wear out the existing sockets prematurely.

It wouldn't be surprising to see metal halide in a nursery at all as it's a very commonly used light for "grow" lights thanks to its high ultraviolet output--a fact that makes it all the more important for someone making a "video light" version to use UV filter glass either in the lens or with a separate filter.

Reese Leysen June 20th, 2007 08:50 AM

Ok, thanks a lot for all the info guys :)