Cool lights? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 8th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #1
Major Player

Cool lights?

Hello, they look good, I was curious if anyone using them know what the FStop of the CL-255 and/or CL-455, would be at a given Shutter speed/Distance and iso? I am trying to determine how much light each using puts out.

Thanks.

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.Stephen Eastwood.com
Stephen Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 02:46 AM   #2
Trustee

Get the CL-455 since it isn't really that large and you can never have too much light. You can shut off half the lamps anyway. Since digital cameras don't often show ISO it will be hard for us to come up with those numbers. If you are shooting HD, you need lots of light so get at least one 455 before you get a 255. The 255 might be a good fill for the 455. I would get a 655, 455, and a 150 HID as the ultimate coollights kit that could do almost anything.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 07:03 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Steven,

I'm not back in the states and I left my light meter there although I could probably pick one up here and should do for the sake of posting photometric data. Just been so busy the last 6 months on sales and product development that I haven't had time to look up and run those tests to post the data.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks, I am looking at the 255's cause I may want to do a 4 square in a typical ring(square) pattern to shoot through for some beauty commercial type videos, which is why I was curious of light output. I am also very suprisd that this whole business of video has so little information about the actual light output from lights, (not singling out coollights, lowel, arri, everyone is the same really, but why am I suprised Canon does not even have a answer as to what the general standard iso rating of their video cameras would be????? I estimated it to be 320iso, I am just beyound suprised that its not a standard known, I can adjust f stop, and shutter speed but have no way of knowing how much light I need without that last part of the equation)

Anyway thanks for the input I will likely be getting 4 of the 255's and look into a 455 in the future for more standard lighting.

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.StephenEastwood.com
Stephen Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:27 AM   #5
Major Player

Stephen,

I think the answer to your question may also lie in the fact that so few videographers have a light meter. That's not how they really work most of the time. They don't work like a cinematographer for the most part. They use a zebra pattern and a good external monitor to see the results right there and with this feedback, I would say 90% of the people get along this way. Not commenting on whether it's right or wrong, it just seems to be the way the video guy works. Many of them weren't really schooled in the photography / cinematography method of doing things where a light meter comes in far handier.
Old July 15th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi,
I looked at the coollight site and I could not find the CL-455.
I am very interested in getting a set of five lights.
How do they hold up against kinos ?
Thanks

Albert
---------------------------
www.yayofilms.com
Albert Rudnicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #7
Trustee

I just got a 455 and 255 and they seem very well constructed. As for price, I think you can buy a Coollight and 3 more as spares for the cost of one Kino. However, I doubt you'll need the spares.

My advice - buy the Cools, you won't regret it.
Old July 15th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Rudnicki View Post
Hi,
I looked at the coollight site and I could not find the CL-455.
I am very interested in getting a set of five lights.
How do they hold up against kinos ?
Thanks

Albert
---------------------------
www.yayofilms.com
Hi Albert,

Thanks for your interest. And thanks to the others for your kind words.

Yes we just ran out of the CL-455s last week. Our current product development cycle was supposed to have been ended by now and our new products plus older ones like the CL-455 would have already been shipped to inventory in the states. Unfortunately, some of the new products are holding the process up as we ship everything to the USA at the same time via 40 foot container to economize and keep our costs low.

We'll have the 455s back in the September to October timeframe along with some exciting other products too like low cost HMI units and portable fluorescent fixture versions to go along with the current studio models like CL-255, 455 and 655. We'll also have continuously dimming versions for those that have been wanting that feature. Both the HMI units and the dimming fixtures will set new and interesting price points for those categories! You might check our website over the next couple of weeks as we'll be having some pre-offer pricing for the new products.
Old July 15th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Paul and Richard for a quick response
I'll be definitely checking the site.
Is there a reservation list available?
Happy to hear you're getting an HMI in your inventory.
Any idea on the pricing? (HMI)
Albert
-----------------
www.yayofilms.com
Albert Rudnicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:37 AM   #10
Major Player

Yes Albert, there will be something like a reservation list. You can read a bit about what I've been up to in my blog here:

http://www.coollights.biz/wordpress/...egory/articles

You can see some of the product's pictures, especially in Part III of the "Build Your Own Metal Halide Fresnel" series. Prices will be coming soon but the main products will be:

HMI Compact Fresnels:

150w, 575w

HMI Compact Pars:

2 models of 575w and hopefully 1 model of 1200w too

Tungsten Compact Fresnels:

150w, 300w, 650w, 1000w

Portable Fluorescent

2x55, 4x55 non-dimming and dimming

Studio Fluorescent

2x55 non-dimming
4x55 and 6x55 non-dimming and dimming
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management