Private Classifieds listings from 2004 - Page 169 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Private Classifieds

Private Classifieds
For *individuals* to sell gear or post want-to-buy inquiries.

Closed Thread

Old December 2nd, 2004, 10:48 AM   #2521
Trustee

Seems as if the "End User" has the agreement- now if the set is sold to another person- doesn't that make them the "End User" -it doesn't specify the "End User" has to be the individual that purchased the original set... ?

<< Technically one could say the set is a gift with a donation of $150 to the Steve Nunez Fund- see how silly these legalities are?? Tax exempt and all- you'd have to be a commercial lawyer to really sort all the legalities the companies are putting into everyday items we now purchase- honestly I hate the way America is shifting into this "mentality".... they're an original set ....I could see if I were selling copies of the stuff, but to simply sell a used set and get all this response is a bit much...what has happened to the good ole' USA >>

I'm just about ready to pull the plug on this.....it's just a set of CD's in original packaging- they're not copies- they're 100% original....I can't believe all the technical legalities being cited as a result of a casual sale to other DV enthusiasts.......I thought they'd make a perfect addition to anyone making their own home dv projects, that's all!

( sad and somewhat comical- in a non-funny way )
Old December 2nd, 2004, 11:18 AM   #2522
Wrangler

Steve, the posting was worth it just for this thread alone. Good info brought up here.

Maybe whoever buys them from you can just tag your name onto the production as Associate Producer, and that would cover the music. :)
Old December 2nd, 2004, 11:56 AM   #2523
Major Player

Steve,

This thread and all the fuss is not about you and your deal so much as the state of copyright law confusion in regards to small videographers. I think this is actually the simplest issue I have seen in a while regarding copyrights. But I have been curious for a while as to whether resales were legal. Many RF companies do not post their license terms on-line, making it hard to figure out if a used set would be legal to use or not. (Please note that I contacted you privately about this before this discussion got started, and did not join the debate until someone else brought the subject up).

From the artist point of view, lets say you buy a library, use it for one project and sell it. Then someone else does the same thing. Pretty soon, you could have dozens of projects out there, all using one little slice of the library for their project, and the artist has to go back to work at Walmart because he only got paid for one project.

The DigitalJuice method of unlimited licensing is a boon to all of us, versus models like Freeplay, where you have to buy a license for every single project, and pay by minute of use and number of disks. $400 for 28 CD's of RF music is unbelieveable IMHO. I could pay $400 for one fully-licensed song. If we abuse the people who are more than generous with their creations , they will vanish and Free-play type licenses will be our only choice. We all know that BMI and ASCAP would just as soon put us out of business as deal with us.

You got a raw deal because you bought these CD's in good faith, but your buddy screwed you if you had used this music in a big project and gotten busted. Since you have no license agreement with DJ, you can't violate it by selling the discs now. Maybe you should treat it like a bad used car, and not sell it to a friend (we ARE still your friends, right?). :) Of course, if you truly believe that the next owner will have a royalty-free license, sell it that way. Or just make it available on eBay, and let people make their own decision. Maybe you can donate to a school for educational purposes (with no license) and take a tax deduction. (Everyone please save the tax advice!!). If I wanted music for home projects, I might consider buying it. As I said, you have no license to violate IMHO.

From my perspective, enlightened self-interest makes me honor whatever terms the artist chooses put on his work. If I don't like it, I don't buy it. I hope everyone will treat my work (software and video) equally well.

FWIW, I think I am going to buy the fullly-licensed version of this product as soon as I have a need for new music, now that it has come to my attention. It really is a very nice library, and their terms are completely acceptable to me.

Sorry for the long rant/post.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 12:34 PM   #2524
Trustee

Good points for the artists...I don't want to cheat them of their fair pay.

I never took any of the comments personally or as being directed towards me......I'm just sore at what the "legal" system has done to the USA.

Years ago the USA had some of the best motorcycle racers in the world in competition...many of them citing their "young age riding" as the basis of their good performances.....but with todays legalities in the US- it's illegal for a young kid to ride a pocketbike in an empty parking lot because the land owner may get sued if he/she got hurt.....so we have no rising stars.....the people of the USA and it's law setup have abused the system to the point that we can't do much without a permit......believe it or not, you can't legally throw a frisbie or baseball in any NYC Park, it's a park violation......it's just ridiculous.....I was told to leave a local park because I had a tripod and "tripods" aren't allowed in a park without a valid permit.......

...so other countries where law suits actually had to make sense ( a kid's parents can't sue if they get hurt on a minibike on a lot because the kid fell of his own actions) have all the rising stars.....Japan, Italy etc are ruling the m/c racing scene because their youth get to riding/racing on lots and hone their skills.....

.......sorry for this rant, it's just really frustrating to see what has happened to America on many fronts.....we're becoming a hated country everywhere and when the citizens themselves feel something is wrong- we're in trouble!

Consider the set "Not for Sale"......I'll keep them as a reminder of this thread and it's issues.

Thanks to all who tried to help, good day all.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 12:45 PM   #2525
New Boot

trade for lens

have D-100 pkg to trade for long lens,canon,sigma,tamron for the ef adapter.pkg has 3 nikor and 1 sigma lens and accessories.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 12:54 PM   #2526
Regular Crew

I can go lower...is anyone interested?
Old December 2nd, 2004, 12:55 PM   #2527
Regular Crew

email me Cubanb13@aol.com
Old December 2nd, 2004, 12:58 PM   #2528
Regular Crew

I can go lower...is anyone interested?

Email me Cubanb13@aol.com
Old December 2nd, 2004, 05:14 PM   #2529
Major Player

the 210 had been sold , all the other still waiting for new home
Old December 3rd, 2004, 08:06 PM   #2530
Regular Crew

Item Sold

Item Sold...
Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:28 PM   #2531
Major Player

i'll pay shipping 3 day priority mail

torrey c. harris
Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:31 PM   #2532
Major Player

still got the trv 27 if so call me at

1-225-315-6677

torrey
Old December 4th, 2004, 08:28 AM   #2533
Regular Crew

You know my pain..DAMNIT.. :(
Old December 4th, 2004, 12:38 PM   #2534
Major Player

According to that site, "License is NON Transferable" (bottom of the page)
Old December 4th, 2004, 12:42 PM   #2535
Regular Crew

I called the company and they agreed to make an exeption when I explained what happened.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Private Classifieds