FRAUD ALERT, was: Help me please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Private Classifieds

Private Classifieds
For *individuals* to sell gear or post want-to-buy inquiries.

Closed Thread

Old December 4th, 2005, 09:31 PM   #1
Matt Williams

FRAUD ALERT, was: Help me please

Note from Admin: What follows below is an attempt at fraud. I've decided to leave it in public view so that everyone can learn from this. Many thanks to the eagle-eyed person who spotted this shameless scam and reported it... hopefully this will prevent any well-meaning folks from falling into such a trap in the future.

Here the "victim" claims to have lost his only camera in a violent robbery, so he's appealing to this kind-hearted audience to send him money for a replacement. And yet... his posts on another message board indicate that he just sold the camera that supposedly was stolen, and not only that, he already owns the second camera that he's asking you to send money for. Nice try, but it's a small internet. -- CH

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this is a truly ridiculous thing to ask, but it has finally gotten to the point of me asking.

Last week I was filming some b-roll stuff on the east side of Oahu, Hawaii on a beach where in clear view you can see a famous island shaped like a china mans hat. It has been in many shows such as suvivor,lost, multiple other island type shows/movies. Being there by myself and not really knowing my surroundings there that much I walked more towards the edge of the water by some picnic tables and large trees.

I found my spot and placed my camera bag on the ground next to me consisting of my vx1000, vx2100 and the usual other stuff in a camera operators bag. As I started to pull my vx2100 out and load it with tape and slide in a new battery 3 big samoan type guys came over and started talking to me. I told them I was shooting some scenary shots for stoke footage and before i finished one of them pulled a knife out and rushed me knocking me on the ground while the other 2 guys grabbed my bag and took off. I was screaming and trying to kick and fight my way out of the samoan's grasp as I watched the 2 other run away with more then $4000 in equipment. After the 2 guys got far enough away, the knife holder (the one who powered me to the ground) punched me in the side of my head and took off.

After it finally sunk in that all my stuff was taken and I almost got stabbed for it, I rushed over to the parking lot luckily there was a pay-phone. I called 911 and the police, made a report and was bandaged up in the ambulance then released. Hawaii is I'm sure just like any other state in when stuff gets stolen from you, rarely does it get recovered. I spoke to my friend's dad who has been a police officer for 12 years and worked in many theft cases, he told me that he was sorry but that I had less then 10% of a chance to get my stuff back.

I'm 17 years old and worked my ass off to manage enough money to buy all my stuff. I'm terribly sorry and hate having to ask for "more or less" pity from people over a web forum, but I'd really appreciate any donations that could be given to help me purchase another camera. I think I'm going to lean towards a used dvx100a and shoot more 24p things.

Anything will help, a dime, dollar, quarter. If you'd like to donate anything send it through paypal to my email address: skatetpc@gmail.com

Thank You,
Matt Williams

Old December 5th, 2005, 12:28 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Matt...

Are you still in Hawaii?

I'm thinking that you should get your story out to the media such as the Honolulu Star-Bulletin. It provides a story with a face as opposed to the usual anonymous faceless victim.

It might help track down the criminals.

Also, get your serial numbers out in the public so that anyone buying equipment out here will be made aware of any incredible "deals" on used gear.

Your situation is more than the usual burglary theft. It was robbery and a lot more serious. At the very least you didn't get injured or worse.
Old December 5th, 2005, 05:35 AM   #3
Matt Williams

yes dean I'm still in Hawaii. That is a smart idea. I'll give the bulletin a call tomorrow and tell them my story, hopefully I pray that it'll help track them down. I'd hate to see my equipment gone but more then that 3 lowlifes not be prosecuted.

Old January 29th, 2006, 01:21 AM   #4
Tourist

something smells fishy

Matt,

When I first heard your story I felt sorry for you. I decided to do a little research on you. I don't take anything at face value. If you're going to make a bogus pan handling post like this, at least don't invalidate yourself on other forums with conflicting info.

Hmm, on Jan 25th you (matt808) had a VX2100 for sale. Why, that is strange.

http://forums.skateperception.com/in...opic=55763&hl=

Also, it seems you (matt808) already own a DVX100a

http://forums.skateperception.com/in...opic=47566&hl=

Another thing that has me baffled. Why didn't you post this sob story on the skateperception board? ::sarcasm::

Nice try
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Private Classifieds