Private Classifieds listings from 2007 - Page 366 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Private Classifieds

Private Classifieds
For *individuals* to sell gear or post want-to-buy inquiries.

Closed Thread

Old December 7th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #5476
Major Player

I agree that it does seem odd that the very problem he was worried about before the sale suddenly materialized after the sale. I suppose there is a chance he already had an FX1 with a non-working firewire port and he bought yours hoping to get his first one fixed on your dime. That may not be the case at all, but that is the sort of scenario you have to avoid when selling over the internet, which is why you have to do it Mike's way and have him send the camera back to you for repairs.

I recently purchased a pretty expensive 21" Sony PVM production monitor from someone and it was damaged in shipping. By looking at the box and the monitor, it was obvious that UPS had dropped it. Even though UPS packaged it and put "Fragile" stickers all over it, they had dropped it pretty hard.

I tried to file a claim with UPS, but they said the only way for them to pay for it was for them to pick it back up and return it to the shipper. He would have to attest that it was, in fact, the same monitor and was not in the shape it was in when it left, then they would pay for it. It's a similar situation.

(By the way, in case anyone's wondering, it was delivered to my office building and signed for at the loading docks with dozens of other packages, so I didn't know it arrived damaged until 2 days later when I came into the office and received it - that's why it was accepted, rather than instantly refused upon delivery.)

-Vence
Old December 7th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #5477
Major Player

Sold

These tapes have been sold! Thanks!!!
Old December 7th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #5478
Major Player

Michael I'm definetly interested, I'll email you tonight when I get off work.
Old December 7th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #5479
Regular Crew

Offer Pending on this kit

Offer Pending on this kit - held till 12-20-07.

Cheers,

Ty
Old December 7th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #5480
Major Player

FYI... The Sony FX1 doesn't support hot firewire connections. Meaning the computer and camera must be off prior to turning on the computer. Once the computer is on you can power on your camera.

I had a problem with my first fx1, two days after I had it, the firewire port stopped work and sony would not cover it under warranty.

I would assume that if you tested it prior to sending it and it worked it is user error on the other end.

Good luck.
Old December 7th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #5481
Major Player

Hello
is the firewire on the FX1, 4 pin or 6

Joe
Old December 7th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #5482
Inner Circle

Best of my knowledge, all cameras use the 4 fire version. Size matters! :)

Mike
Old December 7th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #5483
Major Player

Hi Mike
i don't think the 4 pin generates any power other than signal
i know on my computer its 6 pin, on my deck it is 4 pin
i could pull out the firewire with power on the deck nothing would happen
it did not hurt it at all, not that i make a habit of doing this
My Jvc 110 the firewire port is 6 pin

thanks
Joe
Old December 7th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #5484
Trustee

Hearing only your side of the story, it sounds fishy. I would not do anything. You have no way of knowing if his port shorted out the FX1, hence, his problems in the past. I have heard of this happening more than once and had it happen to me on a $30,000 deck! The problem is on his end, either software (easy fix) or hardware (could be an easy fix unless he fried the port).

Will another camera see it? If not, port is fried and I suspect it is something on his system doing it. Not your fault at all.

ash =o)
Old December 7th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #5485
Major Player

I had a lower end dv camcorder for transferring my sd footage to the computer and it worked solidly for years, but one day I plugged one end into the camera and passed the other by my tv monitor on my way to the computer and needless to say the shock fried the firewire input on the camera. My mistake and just being careless. I wouldn't pay the repairs especially if your sure it was in working order. Also you have sold here many times before so your reputation is pretty solid.
Old December 7th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #5486
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph A. Benoit View Post
Hi Mike
i don't think the 4 pin generates any power other than signal
i know on my computer its 6 pin, on my deck it is 4 pin
i could pull out the firewire with power on the deck nothing would happen
it did not hurt it at all, not that i make a habit of doing this
My Jvc 110 the firewire port is 6 pin

thanks
Joe
The four wire is not powered, but that does not mean you can't damage the circuit board in the camera. Just ask many Sony owners who have found out the hard way. Cameras should be powered down first.

Mike
Old December 7th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #5487
Regular Crew

My iMac blew out the firewire port on my external hard drive case last week. I left the case connected to the computer all the time. I always power on the computer first, then the case. One day, it just stopped working upon power-up. I can confirm that the firewire port is dead because it still works with USB.

I'm not sure when the spike is happening. Is it most dangerous during power-on of the computer? If that's the case, shouldn't the procedure be: 1) power-on computer, 2) connect device, 3) power on device? I always thought you should have the device connected first before powering the computer, then finally the device.

Anyways, this is a bit off topic, but I hope for Michael's sake that this is just a hardware/software configuration issue (since the buyer seems to be asking fairly basic questions regarding connectivity).
Old December 7th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #5488
Wrangler

I'm not certain, but I think a contributing factor to blown firewire ports on the FX1/Z1 has to do with the cameras being plugged into the AC adaptor at the time the firewire cable is plugged/unplugged.

All I know is that I hot plugged my Z1 many times with no problems. But I never run my camera on AC line power; I always run on battery power. After reading reports of blown ports around here I started making sure the camera was turned off when connecting/disconnecting, but the computer is always turned on.
Old December 7th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #5489
Obstreperous Rex

Hmm... just thinking out loud... I'd be inclined to have him ship the camera back and refund his money.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old December 7th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #5490
Major Player

FS: Sony HVR-M10U

For sale excellent condition:
See Picures here: http://gallery.mac.com/stephencahill#100016

$2100.00
PayPal, US shipment only
PM if interested.

LOW Hrs:

HRS:
Operation: 23x10H
Drum: 3x10H
Tape Run: 3x10H
Threading: 17x10H

All the DV Based Formats
The Sony HVR-M10U is the companion HDV player and recorder deck for the HVR-Z1U mini high-definition camcorder. The deck has the same down-conversion capabilities as the camcorder allowing recorded HDTV video to be viewed on a standard TV or video monitor. The video can also be recorded on most any standard definition VCR. A 3.5-inch LCD monitor is built into the front panel of the deck. This deck has the capability of playing and recording in HDV, DVCAM and DV formats. It can only accept the small Mini DV cassette.

Time Code Ready for Your Non-Linear System
The HDV format incorporates time code into its bit stream flow. Like larger VTRs time code can be switched among REC RUN, FREE RUN, RE-GEN, and USER BITS. HDV when input via Fire Wire transfers time code along with the video. In addition the deck in compatible with LANC control protocol.

NTSC and PAL
You may work on projects anyplace in the world, well almost, because Sony equips the HVR-M10U with both NTSC and PAL system compatibility. Because the deck has down-conversion circuitry, you may output a HDV signal to either or both NTSC and PAL systems.

Indoors, Outdoors or Anywhere Your Shoot Takes Yo
Sony has designed the HDV deck to be used with the AC adapter which is included in the box when you purchase. The machine may also be powered via "L" batteries so you are not tied to a AC power source with a really long extension cord.

Control L for Remote Operation
You may use the HVR-M10U with your existing Control L (LANC) equipment. Simple linear edits or forward/reverse scrolling for Time Code logging can be controlled locally with the LANC gear.

PayPal, US shipment only
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Private Classifieds