Private Classifieds listings from 2008 - Page 282 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Private Classifieds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Private Classifieds
For *individuals* to sell gear or post want-to-buy inquiries.

Closed Thread

Old September 5th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #4216
Major Player

People Prompter Telepromper

Hello Mario and Shaun,

In time, after I've run through the entire production cycle I could give you better feedback, so my caveat here is this is just my initial impression. Several months ago the Prompter People Broadcast 15 Teleprompter was on my short list. I saw its leading competitor on ebay and other websites but generally felt the Prompter People unit would better meet my needs. I'll assume you've seen the video demos at their site, which should give you a good understanding of the unit.

Even without a manual or documentation, it was easy enough to assemble and I had it up and running within an hour of opening the shipping box. Oh by the way, I followed Dave's advice and bought the dvc Promp software instead of the one suggested by Prompter People. Depending on your need, there are lots of different programs with various bells and whistles - the dvc Promp was perfect for my needs. In fact, I found the dvc Prompt worked fine with my Interlink Remote Point Presenter (remote wireless mouse), allowing the talent to remotely control the scrolling, etc without having a dedicated operator. I even have one button on the wireless remote assigned to "pop-on/pop-off" a big red arrow on the remote operator's screen (allowing the talent to signal the operator). Of course, the laptop can always be controlled locally by the cameraman or prompter operator. Incidentally, my sense is that all teleprompter software that generates variable large bitmap fonts (remember, the software needs to flip the text horizontally) is significant resource load on an average laptop. And while it didn't seem to have a noticeable jitter problem when scrolling text, with a slower computer it would indeed be a problem. In fact, while running the dvc Prompt, my pokey CPU didn't have enough resources left to perform other intensive tasks like web surfing (considerable browser lag, but teleprompting worked fine).

Anyway, the People Prompter monitor is a fairly typical LCD, using the Samsung SyncMaster 515. Just connect it via a cable to the laptop's external connector (VGA 15pin D-Sub) and off you go (assuming your laptop has a dual port monitor - my Dell Inspiron 6000 has a Nvidia chipset). I'm not sure of the f-stop on the acrylic reflector; Dave thought it was about a half-stop which, judging it by eye-ball, seems about right (I suppose I could dig out my Sekonic light meter sometime and check it out). I haven't performed a detailed check to measure distortion but I can't imagine this would be an issue filming in SD. Remember, we're using a teleprompter to record well lighted talent within 20 feet (probably a medium, CU, or ECU shot) so distortion shouldn't be a problem. Of course, if you're filming in HD then perhaps you should consider aberration issues:
Aberration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By the way, while the glass is about 12 x 16 inches, the camera lens area is only capturing about a 3-4 inch diameter area - the rest of the acrylic surface is there for the benefit of the talent to read the teleprompter. I found the unit was very easy to read, even as I reduced the font size at a distance of about 14 feet on my initial test - just don't get too close, say 4-5 feet, or the audience will probably detect the talent's eyes moving from side to side while reading the prompter.

Finally, I'm using a 10 pound camera (Canon XL-2) with my existing Bogen 503 tripod. I was a bit concerned since I was pushing the load limit but found once I balanced the unit it wasn't going to be a problem at all. To me, it seems like you have an infinite range of front-back adjustment and tripod seating points to ensure an ideal fulcrum balance. However, I will say that even using the extension block to raise the camera height, I was a bit lower then ideal to fit the cloth hood. Fortunately, I use the Canon TA-100 quick release adapters with my tripods and cameras - so adding the adapter on top of the extender block gave me an extra 1 inch boost to raise my XL-2 camera high enough so the hood opening was properly centered.

Anyway, that's my quickie response. Happy hunting,

Michael

Last edited by Michael Nistler; September 5th, 2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old September 5th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #4217
New Boot

Price Drop $2550 CASH
Old September 5th, 2008, 02:06 AM   #4218
New Boot

Price Reduction to $2550 Cash
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:24 AM   #4219
Inner Circle

Our company has this teleprompter and have had very good results.

We're using the glass beam splitter since we're shooting with HD, and want to ensure maximum quality throughout. As for chromatic aberration, it's not a problem. Our host is shot against green screen and is composited onto a realistic background. The results are seamless with professionals wondering how we got an outdoor scene to look so good.

Also, the camera is a Sony EX1. All-up weight works out well on the Manfrotto tripod. Of course I make sure it's properly balanced.

Cindy, our host, has had several years of experience working as a TV reporter and said this teleprompter is the clearest and sharpest she's ever seen. Which says a lot since a television station should be able to afford a pretty decent teleprompter system.

Setting it up with a Mac Book Pro is easy enough. The software takes a bit of fiddling to figure out. But after taking a few notes on proper setup it's easy to do again.

Sure beats printing up 17" cue cards. And it gives us the option of rewriting copy on the spot if necessary -- sure beats scribbling changes on the 17" cue cards.
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:51 AM   #4220
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Thanks Michael and Dean. I too come from broadcast television and was just a bit skeptical but wanted to be optimistic. The prompters for rent in my market are generally in questionable quality OR are so old they are kludgy to use in a freelance setting. For under $2000, I'm thinking I can justify a prompter but only if I'm not cursing it. As I'm shooting HD exclusively, perhaps I'll look into both the glass NAD the acrylic beam splitters:glass for studio, acrylic for field (and only when I'm scared to bring the glass).

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and for the recommendation of the aftermarket prompting software.
Old September 5th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #4221
New Boot

Thank you Michael & Dean

Gentlemen... I realize that people's days are usually quite hectic. I appreciate you both for taking the time to provide these thoughtful replies. They are very helpful.

I'm a guy struggling with the idea of investing part of my money in a teleprompter. I don't usually have money to entertain the notion of purchases like these but realize the value of the investment in a good teleprompter.

I have a Canon XL-H1 and am usually shooting SD but would love the freedom to shoot HD & occasionally HD/Green Screen. Dean's comment about using the glass beam splitter for HD has me a bit concerned only because I will be doing a lot of location shooting and breakage seems to be enough of a concern that the Prompter People site recommends acrylic for productions on the move. Is HD through acrylic a deal killer for either of them?

The final deployment for these videos is not for broadcast but for corporate videos distributed on DVD and for placement on the Internet. Any further feedback is, as always, appreciated.

Thanks again,

Mario Salinas
Old September 5th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #4222
Major Player

Rehi Shaun,

Yes indeed, quality-wise this unit definitely meets top standards. The alloy material looks like it belongs on an airplane and removeable parts like the angled bracket that hold the reflector at a 45 degree angle use a super sturdy slotted assembly with two precision wing nuts that firmly hold the reflector assembly in place. My guess is that even if the tripod fell over (shudder the thought) the People Prompter gear would probably survive the fall.

As far as the acrylic reflector goes, my only caveat for field use is to ensure you don't let the surface get scratched. The reflective film is very thin so be sure to protect at least the 3 inch area where the camera lens looks through the reflector.

Regards, Michael
Old September 5th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #4223
Major Player

sold

sold. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by Kit Hannah; September 5th, 2008 at 12:43 PM. Reason: sold
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #4224
Inner Circle

Sent Private Email.
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #4225
Major Player

sold. Thanks
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #4226
Regular Crew

Lowering prices to sell soon!

I am now lowering the price of the hd200 to $4800.00 and the mini35c for $7,800.00. Contact me if interested.

I will sell the entire package for $14,500.00. Let me know!
Old September 5th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #4227
Major Player

I have three NTG-1 mics that I can sell. Barely used and in the box.
$165.00 each plus shipping. Paypal is ok.

Info@gunnsphotovideo.com
770-978-3686
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #4228
Major Player

Matt, did you change your email address. I can't seem to reach you.
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #4229
Major Player

Pictures will be posted soon.
Old September 5th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #4230
Regular Crew

Avid Video Editing Custom Laptop System – Complete Setup!

This is an Avid Xpro v.4.6 video editing system running on a custom configured laptop specifically designed to run this software. It runs on Windows XP and is in excellent condition.

It represents an amazing value for someone looking for a total video editing system for about the cost of a decent laptop.

The system is ideal for any independent filmmaker, student, small company, hobbyist, or non-profit looking to for a startup editing system at well below market rate.

The Xpro suite also includes DVDit authoring software by Sonic,
Boris Graffiti LT, Soreneson Squeeze for compressing video on the web, and Nero cd/dvd burning software.

It includes all original software discs and original manuals.

It also includes all the backup software for the laptop.

This editing system was originally configured and sold by DVLine, a Colorado company which was an authorized Avid dealer for many years.

The laptop features a 3.07 gHz processor running Windows XP, and is manufactured by Prostar, who designed it to DVLine's specifications. It has a 15.5 inch screen, a 60GB system drive, and an additional 60 gb internal drive for media storage.

Prostar is a highly reputatble US company which has been in business for fifteen years, and is located at prostar.com

As well, the system features a PCMCIA firewire card for attaching additional firewire drives for media storage. There is also one additional empty PCMCIA slot.

It also features a removable mp3 player, which when inserted into the laptop serves as an SD card slot. And it includes the power charger and a carrying case.

The plastic casing on the USB dongle is slightly bent, so I taped it up, and it is in perfect functioning condition. The system battery has also run out, and doesn't work. When it ran out, I never replaced it, as I only used it in my home studio.

I am the original and only owner of the system, and have edited many programs broadcast on national television on this system. Because I now have a much larger HD suite, I no longer have need of this system.

Again, this setup, which originally sold for $4000 almost five years ago, is perfect for someone looking for a total video editing system for about the the cost of a decent laptop.

Please note – this is NOT the academic version of the software. It is the full Avid package.

Asking $900 plus paypal & s&h.

Email for pictures… questions strongly encouraged!

Last edited by Stu Siegal; September 5th, 2008 at 06:38 PM.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Private Classifieds