DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Read About It (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/read-about/)
-   -   Scott Billups Digital Cinematography (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/read-about/10545-scott-billups-digital-cinematography.html)

Hugh DiMauro June 6th, 2003 11:29 AM

Scott Billups Digital Cinematography

The second edition of his book is out and I hafta tell ya, he hits hard, fast and smart with no sugar coating. You really have to read and pay attention to what he writes because he is technical (and I am no techno-geek, believe me). But if you want to work in digital, this is the book for you. And, the piece-de-resistance is that the book retails for $27.00 at Borders and Barnes and Noble, but I just purchased it brand new on Amazon for $6.98! People, do yourself a favor and voraciously read the book.

Paul Sedillo June 6th, 2003 11:40 AM

You know I had forgot that Scott was releasing a second edition. Thanks for bring it up!

Hugh DiMauro June 6th, 2003 11:58 AM

PLeasure's All Mine

I have to admit that his book actually makes me feel that I just might be able to get away with my independent filmmaking passion. Allegedly, he was buddies with the late cinematographer James Wong Howe. Now there's one helluva guy to learn from.

Hugh DiMauro June 6th, 2003 11:59 AM

By The Way...

Have you ever rubbed elbows with Robert Rodriguez? Or have you ever seen his setup at his Austin home?

Boyd Ostroff June 6th, 2003 08:20 PM

I read his "Digital Moviemaking" book when it first came out (I think that's the one you're actually talking about, yes?). I really liked his approach and it encouraged me to start learning about the whole field. He also has a nice website at http://www.pixelmonger.com/home.html. Awhile ago one of the regulars around here posted something to the effect that he had a problem with Scott's work, however he declined to give any details. Would be curious as to what he meant by that....

Adrian Douglas June 6th, 2003 09:05 PM

I've got Scott's book and found it useful. However, he does tend to editoralize a bit. Opinions are good but in a informative style of book they don't really belong.

Boyd Ostroff June 6th, 2003 09:45 PM

That's sort of a curious statement. Seems to me that he's quite clear in stating his bias. There's never much doubt as to when he's expressing an opinion as opposed to presenting the facts. I didn't agree with everything he said, but found it generally stimulating, enjoyable... and sometimes downright inspirational. Really the best thing I've read on the topic.

Just my opinion though...

Ken Tanaka June 6th, 2003 10:35 PM

Unquestionably, Scott Billups has done more to help popularize digital videography than nearly anyone else. He is a knowlegable professional with plenty to offer. Those that have met him have said that he seems like a heck of a nice, personable fellow.

His style of writing and publicity, however, comes on strong and somewhat self-aggrandizing. As with similar characters in nearly every other niche of business and the arts, that strategic style draws public attention and strongly polarizes opinion. Detractors will dismiss him as an irrelevant showboat interested principally in selling books and speaking engagements. Supporters will take inspiration from him.

Today, Scott's in a crowded field. "Digital movie making" is no longer a new possibility; it's an increasingly mainstream activity for both amateurs and professionals. There are perhaps hundreds of "experts" scurrying around the planet promoted by niche magazine and book publishers. Maintaining the viability of the "Scott Billups" brand will be an increasingly difficult and expensive proposition.

Personally, I don't warm-up to Scott's style. But that's a petty matter. I admire his ability to inform and inspire so many people to venture into digital movie making. My hat's off to the man.

Paul Sedillo June 7th, 2003 05:52 AM

Re: By The Way...

<<<-- Originally posted by Hugh DiMauro : Have you ever rubbed elbows with Robert Rodriguez? Or have you ever seen his setup at his Austin home? -->>>

If that question was for me, the answer would be no. I was supposed to go to SXSW this year, but could not make it. In fact I had bought the Film Pass back in September of last year and was very sad to have missed it. Robert Rodriguez was supposed to have been there, which is one of the reasons I wanted to go.

I've read about his home studio and would love to see it. The next edition of Spy Kids is supposed to be in 3-D, that should be a wild ride. And from what I understand, he did most of the post production work there (in Austin).

Hugh DiMauro June 9th, 2003 08:29 AM

Hey Paul

Thanks for the reply. I'm so simple minded that I automatically assumed that all "Austinites" knew each other. Austin is probably a very large city. I guess I was curious because from what I read about Mr. Rodriguez, he seems like a very approachable, personable fellow who would like to give advice to people starting out.

Paul Sedillo June 9th, 2003 04:17 PM

Re: Hey Paul

<<<-- Originally posted by Hugh DiMauro : Thanks for the reply. I'm so simple minded that I automatically assumed that all "Austinites" knew each other. Austin is probably a very large city. I guess I was curious because from what I read about Mr. Rodriguez, he seems like a very approachable, personable fellow who would like to give advice to people starting out. -->>>

Yes that is my understanding as well. I hope to meet him someday, figure SXSW would be the best place to do it.

Ben Gurvich December 23rd, 2003 09:04 AM

I have read Digital Moviemaking by Scott Billups about 7 times. And each time I read it I find more , theres just so much in it to absorb.

I also emailed Scott a couple of times, and he took his time to watch one of my films and give me a few pointers.

Pretty Impresive considering this guy is a Hollywood Pro.

ps - I must admit i do like Scott's editorial style. He uses great expressions like, "at good clip" and "at the business end of the Sony F900" etc

Don Berube December 23rd, 2003 09:21 AM

Iv'e been following Scott Billups work for a long time, even before the days that noisybrain. was the #1 web channel on the now-defunct iCanStream.com. http://www.icanstream.tv/images/gallery-.jpg http://www.icanstream.tv/images/community.jpg Scott was like the first person to ever shoot digital. He's one lucky guy and excels at what he does. Every so often, he gets kidnapped by Sony to be shown some new alien technology. I totally look up to Scott and consider him a mentor. In my world, Scott Billups defines the entire process. He is Gandalf.

I had the opportunity to meet Scott Billups a couple weeks ago at a small evening gathering at Standard Studios in LA. Scott was presenting some HDTV technology in one of the back studios. Adam Wilt, a friend (and Mentor #2 hehe) was presenting alongside Scott. It was awesome. There was a cattle call of shooters just surrounding Scott and Adam, absorbing everything they had to say and show. One of the cool things they showed was the eCinema EDP100 Display Box for the Apple HD Cinema Display. Sweet!

Anyways, Scott may be loud and proud of his accomplishments, but he has every right to be. Heck, he's damn good at what he does and defines the word "guru". And still, Scott was very energetic and also very, very friendly to boot!

Hope I don't sound too biased here.

- don

Alex Filacchione October 13th, 2004 02:49 PM

If you liked his book, you should really go to his site and check it out. There are lots of his magazine articles there for reading (if you've read the book you will have already read half of the articles though).

I did notice a mistake or 2 in the book, and he seems to contradict himself a lot.

For example, on his site he says that he uses an XL1 and won't use anything else, but he uses a PD150 a LOT.

He talks about having good lowlight is great and the sony PD150 is great at it and you shouldn't use anything else (in that prosumer field), but he also uses an XL1.

He says that anything with a infinitely turning focus ring is not of the prosumer level, and the states that the PD150 (which has that AFAIK) is one of the best ones in the prosumer field.

He says that if the camera does not let you take manual control of all of the exposure settings then stay far away from it. He says anything less than 3 CCDs is amatuer. Yet he gave the JVC GR-HD1 a great review on his site, not mentioning the single CCD, the horrible low light performance, or the fact that you cannot have full manual control over the f-stop & shutter (1 of the 2 is always auto, and it constantly keeps adjusting for the changes in the other to compensate).

Take everything with a grain of salt and the guy has lots of great stuff for you to read and learn from between his site and his book!

Alex F

Laurence Maher October 21st, 2004 03:18 AM

Read the book. Good book. Best I've read for sure.