Yet another query on lighting books - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It

Read About It
Some old-fashioned book-learnin' will do you some good.

Old March 21st, 2005, 03:59 AM   #31
New Boot

lighting books

i know this has been discussed many times, but i still don't know what lighting book to get. i need a book that can tell me lots about lighting ur film.....including the basics. can anyone help?
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:24 AM   #32
Major Player

hello Dylan,
I'm new at all this stuff too but Ive gone through enough books reserching everything that I can make a few recomendations.
If you are just wanting basic lighting info, most books on Digital video have a chapter or section devoted to the basics. Only thing is, it's usually not a whole lot of information. Digital Videos for Dummies (third edition) by Kieth Underdahl is where I started. There is the most basic lighting facts in there. A book that is more in dept would be " Matters of Light and Depth" by Ross Lowell. I can't say anything about the book other than I am trying to get my hands on a copy myself. The interesting thing about this book is that it has been called "essentially practical & practically essential". To me this means a begginer like me can gain from it. Also, this book apparently started as a pamphlet on lighting tips and grew into the book that it is today. Check out this link and see for yourself. http://www.lowel.com/book.html
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:06 AM   #33
Trustee

I also like "Matters of Light & Depth". If you want to get really technical, there is [the] "Set Lighting Technician's Handbook".
Old March 25th, 2005, 04:23 PM   #34
Major Player

I have a book from 1986, Film Lighting by Kris Malkiewicz, that's not super technical and obviously not geared to DV, but it has a bunch of interviews with famous DPs (Caleb Deschanel, Haskell Wexler, James Wong Howe, etc.) explaining techniques they like to use and somewhat how to achieve them. It has plenty of schematic diagrams of lighting setups and stills from the results. Again, it's not going to give you step-by-step instructions for how to light for DV, but it has great info about establishing certain looks or moods from people who have proven themselves in the industry. Some of the technical info in the early chapters is still relevant as well. I've seen many lamps as old or older than those illustrated and discussed in the book (e.g. Peppers, Tweenies, Lowel Omnis and Totas) on sets in the last year even though the book is from the 80s.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 01:40 PM   #35
Trustee

Book on lighting?

I have an interview talking head shoot coming up and I want to light dramatically. Is there a good bible on lighting that would help me out in a pinch?
Old July 22nd, 2006, 09:32 PM   #36
Great DV dot com

At the risk of seeming self-promoting, my book "Lighting for Digital Video & Television" has been the top-selling lighting book since it came out in 2002:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157...290236?ie=UTF8

Read the reviews for a more objective opinion :^)
Old July 22nd, 2006, 11:08 PM   #37
Regular Crew

"Matters of Light & Depth"by Ross Lowell is also very good.
http://www.lowel.com/book.html
Old March 8th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #38
New Boot

Help needed for Lighting Book

Hey guys. I was wondering whether anyone here wants to sell or knows how I can buy the book "Lighting for Digital Video and Television" by John Jackman. Made an order out at Amazon but was just notified that I can only get it around May which is way too long to wait. Would be glad if anyone can help me out with this. Thaks all. Cheers

Khai
Old March 8th, 2007, 06:24 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Hi to a fellow member from Singapore!

I can't help you with the book but if the book is good, I believe it's worth the wait. In the meantime, I'm sure you can get similar books at any major bookstores or even libraries!
Old March 8th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #40
New Boot

Hi back to you man. Guess I'll wait if someone else has a solution. Thanks anyway. So you doing camera work too in a production facility?
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #41
Major Player

He is the moderator of the lighting forum on dv.com. You might ask him there.
Old March 11th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #42
Inner Circle

The Jackman book is good.

Here is a list of similar books :
http://www.webfilmschool.com/index.a...S&Category=272
Old April 12th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #43
Major Player

this book is ok, for basic stuff, u'll leard all types of lighting and many terms. If you already know that, then you might want to consider buying something more sophisticated

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It