DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Read About It (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/read-about/)
-   -   Books for DV newbie (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/read-about/14489-books-dv-newbie.html)

Larry Feign September 13th, 2003 06:53 AM

Books for DV newbie

I'm looking for feedback on a few books. Unfortunately they are not available in bookshops where I am, so I am unable to browse. I have to order from B&N or Amazon and hope for the best. Before I spend a fortune on too many books, I'd like to learn others' recommendations.

FYI, I am an experienced ANIMATION storyboarder and producer and have been involved in animation production and directing for a number of years. I'm just embarking on DV video as a personal sideline, so am interested more on DV-specific technicalities and production methods, not an overview of visual storytelling. Steven Katz's "Shot by Shot" is one of my bibles, even for animation. But what about...

SHOOTING DIGITAL VIDEO, Jon Fauer

DIGITAL FILMMAKING HANDBOOK, Long & Schenk

DIGITAL FILMMAKING 101, Newton & Gaspard

303 DIGITAL FILMMAKING SOLUTIONS, Chuck Gloman

LIGHTING FOR DIGITAL VIDEO & TELEVISION, John Jackman

Obviously I don't want to buy all of the above. Any feedback would be gratefully appreciated.

Darrell Hinton September 13th, 2003 09:11 AM

While I haven't read any of the books, I have been looking at some of the same books on your list. Ken Tanaka, a member of this forum, recommended "The Digital Filmmaking Handbook" by Long and Schenck. He seems like he knows what he is talking about, and is someone whose opinion I would trust on this subject. So I went to a local bookstore and checked it out there, and it does seem to be a great book. I will be purchasing it sometime in the next week. The only downside is that it is a little more pricey than some of the other books (I think it costs around $40, depending on where you purchase it). But, to me atleast, it is better to dish out the extra $20 or so and get the most informative book than to get a book I didn't really want as much just to save the extra money.

Ken Tanaka September 13th, 2003 11:19 AM

Gee Darrell, thank you for the kind remarks!

Larry, the Long & Schenk book is good for an overview of the entire soup-to-nuts moviemaking process. I can also recommend John Jackman's book on lighting. It's a good fly-by of the subject for the hobbiest and newcomer.

Joe Ryan October 18th, 2003 04:26 PM

I ordered " digital filmaking 101 by newton and gaspard " blind, over the internet, and I wouldn't recommend it. Not that it's bad, but I found the title very misleading, it didn't get into enough of the nuts and bolts of shooting in digital that I was looking for, it's more of a broad overview of making your own movie, on the cheap. Also, and I don't neccessarily mind this, they mention their own projects every chance they get.

J.J.