DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Read About It (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/read-about/)
-   -   Newbie book re: DV for broadcast? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/read-about/14850-newbie-book-re-dv-broadcast.html)

John Britt September 22nd, 2003 05:57 PM

Newbie book re: DV for broadcast?

I am looking for a book that might best be defined as "One Man Desktop Digital Video for Television"

I have been doing editing, titles, and animation for local cable commercials for a while now and recently invested in a Panasonic DVC80 so I could get involved in the shooting side of things.

Right now I can fill a niche -- ads done quick and cheap for small businesses who want to get on TV but have no budget (they are often surprised that, unlike print and radio ads, they have to pay for television ad production).

This means I am a one man crew (on top of being newbie to DV shooting). Are there any resources that will help teach me how to get the best quality out of my limited resources? This includes shooting, using natual/existing light, post-production work (AE and Premiere) that will give a more "television" look.

I look at shows like "Trading Spaces" -- obviously, these are shot by professionals with much nicer cameras, but ultimately they seem to use more natural lighting, few tripods, etc -- that is, some of the same conditions I deal with. But they still get great looking footage (and yes, I know the pro cameras and the pros behind the camera have a lot to do with it).

What can I do to get the best one-man footage from my DVC 80 as possible?

Ken Tanaka September 22nd, 2003 07:25 PM

John,
Off-hand, I don't know of a specific book that covers the topics you mentioned.

In general, however, getting the "look" you describe is mainly a matter of lighting, good sound, good camera handling and framing. In the camera handling category, using most prosumer cameras for handheld shooting puts you at an automatic disadvantage. They're too light, and their ergonomics are often poor, to get steady professional results.

My suggestion is to practice with your new DVC80. Learn its usage inside and out. Develop an eye for framing / composition.

Much of the footage you see on broadcast television was shot by folks who have spent many years gaining their skills, learning their equipment and who have good eyes for photography.

John Britt September 22nd, 2003 07:58 PM

Thanks, Ken --

Camera handling: probably to be solved by tripods in most cases. The DVC80 definitely felt studier and heavier than, say, the GL2, and so far is OK for brief handheld shots, but I will typically rely on tripods (although I saw cheap DIY steadicam instructions on the web that were pretty interesting...and funny).

Framing/Composition: I'm fairly comfortable with this. My graphic design/photo work has helped me get an eye for framing, albeit in a static form. Framing for movement, I assume, adds a whole other dimension (quite literally)

I probably used a poor example in "Trading Spaces." This is going to be quick and cheap work for local cable television -- I don't need to hit TLC (or NBC) standards. Heck, just showing up with a video camera is more than any other videographer in town will do for the money I'm being offered. Still, as with everything, I like to aim as high as possible.

I guess one-man lighting tips and post-pro (After Effects/Premiere) tips on tweaking for the best look would be the kind of books I'm loking for. Obviously, it is too much for everything I want to be in one book (although when I learn how to do it, I will write that book myself if need be!).

Most of the books available focus on learning how to shoot DV as film/for movies -- they focus on lighting for a film look, etc. There are ones geared towards newbies and geared towards prosumer cams. But there don't seem to be any about shooting/editing/post-pro for television, which is a different beast.

Panasonic touts the DVC80 as a broadcast camera -- field reporting and such. So obviously they intend for the final product to air on television. What (besides gaining experience) can a newbie do?

I agree, though, that experience is important -- but sometimes experience only teaches you the long way (or even the wrong way) to do something if you don't have some sort of resource to help guide you.

Ken Tanaka September 22nd, 2003 08:36 PM

"Video Production Handbook"

John,
I have not read this book, but I have at least one other book by Gerald Millerson and it's well written and presented.

Being a Focal Press book, it may be tilted toward British standards. But it might still fill part of your bill. Amazon features quite a few sample pages from the book.

At amazon.

John Britt September 22nd, 2003 09:23 PM

Thanks Ken -- it looks interesting. You may be right about leaning towards UK-standards -- I may see if I can peruse a copy in town before I buy.

Browsing at Amazon, I also found "Lighting for Digital Video and Television" by John Jackman, which address the specific medium; and "Making Documentary Films and Reality Videos" by Barry Hampe, which may cover the type of one-man/small budget/run and gun type of work that would be helpful to me to know more about. Are you familiar with either of these books? (I know Jackman is a respected name over at DV magazine)

Thanks again for your prompt advice!

Ken Tanaka September 22nd, 2003 09:31 PM

The Jackman book is a good overview of lighting. Do a Search and you'll find several posts about it (not to mention John's own remarks, as he's a member here).

I have the Hampe book but, honestly, have not yet spent enough time with it to reliably comment.

Dan Uneken December 11th, 2003 07:24 AM

What book did you get in the end, John?
This thread is already old, but I just saw it.
Am doing the same kind of work, and have read many books on the subject, among which:

- "The Videomaker Handbook" by Videomaker Magazine
- "Today's Video" by Peter Utz

No single books tells you everything: the first one I like because it offers advice for situations that I recognise, the second book is a wealth of info on video & TV, more like an encyclopedia: everything on how TV works, from connectors to graphics etc.