The 5 C's of Cinematography at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Read About It
Some old-fashioned book-learnin' will do you some good.

Old May 24th, 2002, 11:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The 5 C's of Cinematography

The above named book is a college course all in itself. It's a thorough coverage of motion picture filming techniques. The author is Joseph V. Mascelli. It has been in constant reprint since 1965. If you check with Amazon.com and look for a used copy, you'll pay a reasonable price.

Regardless of what kind of camera you use, this book covers everything (in detail). It takes forever to read, but if your desire is to shoot like the big boys, this book is a must read,

Bruce
Old May 25th, 2002, 12:16 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Looks Heavy But Very Good, Bruce

Here's the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/187950541X/

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old May 25th, 2002, 10:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Cover to cover is only 249 pages, loaded with illustrations & photos. It makes one think, imagine, and practice. I found that each time I read a page (yes, over and over), it became clearer and clearer. It't the kind of book I can go back to time after time.

Bruce
Old June 19th, 2002, 09:45 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Bruce,
I just received "The Five C's..." yesterday and agree that it's a course in itself. Excellent book.

(I also find the book's many b&w stills from 1960's films and tv shows a hoot since I enjoy that era.)

Thanks for the recommendation.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old June 19th, 2002, 10:24 AM   #5
Major Player

O Tanaka Sama,
When I went to video school, I asked the professor why he didn'y use it in his course. His reply surprised me when he said it was far to detailed for the average student to take as a course. He said that to absorb it would take far more time than the student was willing to spend.

As I have read it, over and over, it seems to become clearer and clearer, perhaps due to my own ability to fully comprehend, I find it s content so overwhelming at first glance, I read each section several times to fully comprehend it.

I hope you enjoy it .
Old November 16th, 2004, 01:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

i have this book as well...it's great!
Old November 17th, 2004, 09:56 AM   #7
Contributor

Sorry for the "me to" but I also love that book.
Old November 17th, 2004, 02:34 PM   #8
Major Player

Re: The 5 C's of Cinematography

<<<-- Originally posted by Bruce Moore : The above named book is a college course all in itself. It's a thorough coverage of motion picture filming techniques. The author is Joseph V. Mascelli. It has been in constant reprint since 1965. If you check with Amazon.com and look for a used copy, you'll pay a reasonable price.

Regardless of what kind of camera you use, this book covers everything (in detail). It takes forever to read, but if your desire is to shoot like the big boys, this book is a must read,

Bruce -->>>

I've read that book and I really liked it, but it really only covers the basics of old Hollywood style filmmaking. I'd recommend it, but I'd probably suggest that someone read a more up to date book if they're only going to read one book.

"Good taste is the enemy of creativity" - Picasso

Blog: http://www.tonyhall.name

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It