Charles King's book at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Read About It
Some old-fashioned book-learnin' will do you some good.

Old April 5th, 2004, 06:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Charles King's book

Yahoo! Seems charles has finally completed his book. I just checked his forum and it seems to be up for sale. The contents looks interesting as well. Here's the direct link for those interested:

http://pub173.ezboard.com/fhomebuiltstabilizersfrm36
Old April 5th, 2004, 06:31 AM   #2
Major Player

well, I didn't expect someone else would start the publicity campaign but thanks any way Lars. Just make sure you read the info on the forum first. That goes for anyone who might be interested.
Old April 5th, 2004, 11:14 AM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Good for you, Charles. Bravo! May you sell truckloads of them!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:35 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Ken. Well, I'm not expecting tons of people(although it would be nice) but knowing that I'll sell any amount will put a smile on my face. :)
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I've read the info. Just sign me up for a copy Charles.
Old April 6th, 2004, 09:00 PM   #6
Trustee

"<i>The author focuses on each individual part of his system which he explains the building methods that were involved in putting the system together</i>"

Charles,

Are you trying to do some concurences with the cody's plans? :-)
Old April 6th, 2004, 10:48 PM   #7
Major Player

Absolutely not. although I was inspired by cody doing a book about his plans I totally didn't want to go that route. Too much work involved. If I was to do a step-by-step version of my build.

The is merely a a 'show and tell' book with many bonuses materials. It does not go into describing how to build a stabilizer like Cody's. So you can't come close to comparing them together.
Cody tells you how to build a rig. My book tells you how I build my rig, in a more or less detail manner. Big difference.

Cody's book is still a good buy and I've put a small review in my book. Cody and I have already talked about it he has even contributed to some of the contents in the book.
So you see, there is no competition between us. Just kamerates.
Old April 15th, 2004, 02:55 AM   #8
Major Player

A shamless plug for my book

Hope it's alright with everyone if I do a little for my book here. If so just remove it and I'll understand. A little self promotion couldn't hurt I suppose. :)

My book is finall up for sale. Anyone interested just go to this link:
http://www.cafeshops.com/hbsbooks

For any info you might have just visit the HBS forum. I have a special forum set up just for it. Or you can post them right here. No problem. Thanks all who have supported the site.
Old April 15th, 2004, 08:04 PM   #9
Regular Crew

...on my way there Charles :) Let me be the first to congratulate you on your finish book. Can't wait to get it.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:42 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Finally got it!

Great job Charles. Love the pics. lots of them! I especially like the pics of the glidecam,steadicam and pro rig. Great tips too. I think I'm going to try and adapt your design. Really flexible.Really good info on both the steadicam and homebuilt rigs.

BTW, charles like your idea of the vest arm adjustments for fore and aft in the pics on pages 120-123.

Oh yeah, by the way guys, Charles has plug this great forum as one of the top sources for info on commercial and homebuilt devices, of course after his site ;) He also mentions Charles Papert being a frequent visitor to this forum willing to answer all questions a long with the nice people here.

Again Charles, great job
Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:22 AM   #11
Major Player

Thanks for the kind remark. Glad you like it. BTW, did you get the book from Lulu or Cafepress? If Cafepress, then you made the right choice. The final print came out beautifully. Better than Lulu. So if anyone decide to buy this book then purchase it from

Cafepress instead. Cheaper shipping to overseas is better. I also prefer the format size which is 7.5 x 9 compared to Lulu's version of 8.5 x 11. Just a tip.
Old May 6th, 2004, 11:45 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi Charles

Is your book available up here in Canada such as Indigo or Chapters?

Thanks
Old May 7th, 2004, 12:04 AM   #13
Major Player

Norman, it's available here: http://www.cafeshops.com/hbsbooks. Thanks for inquiring. Another idea is to go to these stores and have them search for books in print or using the ISBN on the link I just gave you.
Old May 29th, 2004, 01:26 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I live in the UK and am interetsed in getting hold of the book. Is it going to be available over here in the UK or would I have to order from USA. I noticed on your site there was talk of a downloaded version or has the security side of it put you off the idea.
Old May 29th, 2004, 02:12 PM   #15
Major Player

Hi there Andrew. Thanks for the interest. At this point in time you will have to order it from the states. One other solution is to get your local bookstore to order a batch of them so he can sell it. to other customers whi might be interested.
Eh, maybe there is some big sponser willing to fit the bill- just kidding.
The download idea has been scrapped. Sorry. :(

BTW, the link to the book, for all those interested is on the HBS forum but here is the direct link:
www.cafeshops.com/hbsbooks.11011442

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It