Cody's new book - Available!!! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Read About It
Some old-fashioned book-learnin' will do you some good.

Old April 24th, 2005, 02:00 PM   #16
Major Player

Hi all,

Long time no speak, in the meanwhile I have bought both books now (as I promised :) and am in the process of reading them. Well, actually I'm reading charles' book and just looking at the pictures of cody's since I just want to start building the thing. I will definitely tell you what I thought of the books once I finished them as well as my rig. In the meanwhile I have a question for those who have built cody's rig and are in the metric-zone; what worked best for you in handling the measurements? Convert every measure to mm and kgs etc., or to buy some rulers in the imperial system and try to approach the thing in it's 'native language'? I was thinking of you, Jean-Philippe, but I'm not sure whether (French) Canada has a the metric or imperial. Or do you have a third system, in full French tradition ;) ?
Well please let me hear what you metric guys out there did...

Steven
Old April 26th, 2005, 06:19 AM   #17
RED Code Chef

Please let us know how you are going ahead with this Steven, I have Cody's
original book, but due to lack of a camera etc. I haven't built anything yet.

If you go on the difficult hunt to find the suplies here in Holland (no home
depot for us, at least not as they know if in the states), let me know where
you locate stuff etc. That would be great to know!

All the best with the building!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 26th, 2005, 08:02 AM   #18
Trustee

Hi Steven,

Sadly, I will not be able to help you a lot. Here in Canada, we have adopted the metric system, but because we are so close to the USA and companies here have clients across the border, many people have no problem to go from one system to another.

To build my rig, I worked with a machinist, in a real metal shop after the opening hours. This guy read blueprints in metric AND imperial system all the day. So it was easy for me.
Old April 27th, 2005, 07:48 AM   #19
Major Player

Hi, Thanks for your replies.

It's not a big deal JP, I figured out I'm taking the following proces: I have a program (solidworks) in which i am going to put the whole system to see how it fits/works before I'm building the real thing. The program also allows me to first make the whole thing in imperial, and then convert everything to metric dimensions. Then I'm going to judge how to round off the numbers since they don't convert 1:1 (1" = 2,54 cm), and see how that works on tolerances. So maybe I have to do a bit re-designing.

I'm a industrial design student so that means I have access to all the machines I'm going to need to make the thing fast and tight on tolerances. Now all I have to do is convince those people at my university it's a STUDY-project :). Also, a lot of building material like all the aluminium needed I can get from there as well, almost at cost price. For the other stuff I'll figure out where to find that.

I'd like to report on my progress now and then, I won't have time to do this full-time but I'm really enthusiastic so I'll put a lot of spare-time in this. I hope to have it done before summer, but otherwise I'll finish it in summer at those few weeks when not on vacation :)
Would this thread be an appropriate place to place those reports, or should I start another one?

Speak to you soon,

Steven

PS: Rob, what happened to your camera?
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:23 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
but due to lack of a camera etc. I haven't built anything yet
Rob? You are "camera-less" ? What's happened?
Old May 7th, 2005, 03:45 AM   #21
RED Code Chef

I am indeed. A personal financial situtation forced me to get rid of my XL1S
(unfortunately). I'm still working with some of the footage I did shoot in the
3+ years I had the camera and working on ideas for new movies. Hopefully
I will be able to get a new camera somewhere next year. We'll see!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old December 29th, 2005, 04:38 AM   #22
Major Player

now also new book on sled

Hi,

Cody has also released a new book about building a sled. It seems he has now started a new serie: the 'old' book is like an entry level HBS, and if you want to move on you can try his later books, starting with the new arm and now the new sled. I guess he'll be releasing a new book about building a better vest as well in the future, so to make the "pro"-series complete.

Anyway, here the link to his new books:

http://www.cafepress.com/stabilizer/608257

Ciao, Steven
Old December 29th, 2005, 11:14 AM   #23
Major Player

Steven, the book is a sure buy. He sent me a copy and it is exactly the kind of professional layout you'd expect from Cody. Great structure.
Old December 29th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #24
Major Player

Hey Charles,

Now you here anyway, I couldn't find a thread about his new book on your forum. Maybe a new subforum; cody's sled, phase 2?
Things seem to be a bit slower on the hbsboards lately, unfortunately....

Greetz, Steven
Old December 30th, 2005, 08:04 AM   #25
Major Player

The sled subforum will be up. Just trying to get cody to work out something for me. Another thing. The HBs forum is always the way it has been because of the small group of people that post. You see, we have over 800 members and not all of them post. Majority of the new members are just browsing and reading the info.

New members register almost everyday, but most decide to be quiet. Don't ask me why.???? Anyway it's the holidays so you don't expect people to spend their valuable time on the forum when they have family. ;) Except for me, no family so I don't count :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It