Film Noir / classic horror look at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It

Read About It
Some old-fashioned book-learnin' will do you some good.

Old September 8th, 2002, 06:31 AM   #1
Major Player

Film Noir / classic horror look

Can anyone suggest a good book for lighting to achieve a film noir / classic horror look. I know they are not directly related, but i am talking about stark contrast, shadow usage and as little greys as possible, colour and black, deep deep black.

I am shooting on a xl-1s so maybe a video related book covering this subject may be useful.

I am in australia so finding books can be hard and amazon is not an option as it is hella expensive for me. Maybe i can use borders.

kermie
Old September 8th, 2002, 11:29 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I don't know of any book that's topical to such a narrow genre of film and lighting. In general, if you learn to light you'll automatically learn to achieve such a dark, high-contrast look.

The book I highlighted in the thread below is very thorough and comprehensive. Spend some dedicated time reading it and experimenting with setups and you'll have no trouble accomplishing your look.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2342

Being a Focal Press (British) publication you should be able to find it down there.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old September 9th, 2002, 07:37 PM   #3

Kermie, try the book "Painting With Light." The following is a quote from the web site at exposure.co.uk:

"The first book written about film lighting, 'Painting with Light' is a classic text which can still teach us a lot today especially if you are working in black and white (an artform of its own) or if you're trying to recreate film noir style lighting. OK, so it has dated a bit, and in parts become unintentionally funny - but it was written half a century ago (in a world where filming 'ladies', 'steamboats' and 'criminal faces' are vital for a film). If its recommended by Martin Scorcese its good enough for me!"

Visit: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0520089499/exposure00A/002-9787112-9924858

Hope this helps.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It