Cinematographer's manual? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Read About It
Some old-fashioned book-learnin' will do you some good.

Old September 16th, 2002, 05:47 PM   #1
Trustee

Cinematographer's manual?

Hi all, there is this manual that I've heard about called (I think) the "American Cinematographers Handbook". I was wondering how useful it is for DV stuff? I'd like to learn all the ins and outs and use the charts for focus and depth of field that I heard are in it, but if it's not applicable to DV then I won't bother. One day I'll move to film, but only after I've actually secured funding for a project and know what I'm doing a bit more ;)

Cheers
Aaron
Old September 16th, 2002, 09:34 PM   #2
Outer Circle

I can't give you an answer but there is 1 book that's considered a cinematographer's bible. Go to:

*deadlink*

for the name of the book and a little about it.
Old September 16th, 2002, 09:45 PM   #3
Wrangler

Aaron:

The newer editions of the AC manual do have expanded digital sections, but it is still primarily film oriented. That said, it has plenty of information about shooting and lighting that may be of use. Worth checking out first before buying, perhaps!
Old September 17th, 2002, 10:06 AM   #4
Major Player

If you're looking for technique, one of the best is "The Five C's of Cinematography" by joseph V. Mascelli. Although the copy right is 1965 the basics never really change. I bought my copy used, but in perfect condition.
It covers:

camera angles
continuity
cutting
close-ups
and
composition

These are the nuts 'n bolts of the great one's.

I have found that, in addition, experimentation, breaking some rules, and obsevation will teach you a lot.

Since every situation is different, you have to develope a 6th sense as to what looks right, gives you the desired result, and will be interesting to your audience.

Depth of field , lighting, and audio are very important... PRACTICE

Bruce
Old September 17th, 2002, 02:58 PM   #5
Trustee

Hi Bruce. I actually have that book on order from amazon at the moment, and I'm desparately hanging out for it. I looked at it in the bookstore here, but didn't get it and when I went back it was gone so ordered from overseas (Actually turned out cheaper anyway). Practice is something I know I have to do. Although I'll only be working with DV (for the first long while at least) I know there is a lot to learn about the art that doesn't rely on media type.

I gotta keep writing those short scripts! :)

Cheers
Old September 17th, 2002, 07:40 PM   #6
Doconomus

Hello Aaron:

Long time no talk. Getting AC's Handbook may be a good idea anyways. Learning about light is essential. Plus, understanding the components of how film works has helped me greatly in learning about making video look better. Seriously consider getting the manual.

Regards,

Kyle "Doc" Mitchell

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It