Rebel without a crew at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Read About It
Some old-fashioned book-learnin' will do you some good.

Old September 20th, 2002, 05:12 PM   #1
Trustee

Rebel without a crew

Rebel Without a Crew
by Robert Rodriguez
September 1996
Plume
ISBN: 0452271878

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just finished reading this book and I must say it was a great read. It's divided into basically 3 sections. The first section is the bulk of the book and is written in Diary form and covers the creation of his feature film 'El Mariachi'. It starts with the preproduction and earning his money for it as an experimental drug test subject then moves into the production of the film and how it all went - good and bad. It carries on into post production, selling the film, film festivals and how he got noticed and moved into Hollywood.

Part 2 has Robert Rodriquez' well known 10 minute film school. It's a fast paced, passionate rant at those of us who want to get into filmmaking but are a little lost or overwhelmed by it all. I sum it up with one phrase "Get out there and do it, and then do it again". He emphasises that we as aspiring moviemakers should just get whatever equipment we can and make movies, forget about not having the best camera or gear, that will come. Realise that our firts movies will be crap and not worry. He had made short movies for years before doing 'El Mariachi'. Then make more movies and you'll get better. This section also gives lots of helpful hints and tips too for the indy, low budget moviemaker.

Part 3 is the original screenplay for the movie 'El Mariachi' for those interested to see it.

It's well written, and a really easy read. I would say the most I got from this book is insipration and lots of it. So much so that It made me really want to finish my first short movie, and so now I've completed the first draft of the script, have the cast organised and have started to organise all the gear I need.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old September 24th, 2002, 02:59 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

It really is a nice book indeed. Fun to read what he went through.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old December 14th, 2002, 03:00 PM   #3
Major Player

I've heard about this book, it sounds really interesting.. I'll have to pick it up some time!
Old December 14th, 2002, 03:23 PM   #4
Major Player

Alex,

Here is the link to Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

This is a great book for any up and coming filmmaker.
Houston, Texas
Old March 1st, 2005, 11:48 PM   #5
New Boot

rebel without a crew!!!!info plz

hi, i'm from australia and looking to buy rebel without crew and some other film books. rebel without out a crew is on ebay but with shipping costs it ends up costing over $25 is their any online australian shops that sell it? do u think any bookshops over here would have it? thanxs....
Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:41 PM   #6
Major Player

http://danny.oz.au/books/amazon.html

http://sufface.net/links/online-bookstores/online-books-oz.shtml
Old March 2nd, 2005, 11:37 PM   #7
Trustee

I would have sent you my copy had I not sold it. Basically it is an inspirational book; you are not going to learn how to make films from it. I hope this is of consolation if you can not find it.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 01:52 AM   #8
New Boot

i know, but i still want to read it......i'll find it oneday. thanxs for the help anyway

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It