anyone read this book? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Read About It
Some old-fashioned book-learnin' will do you some good.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 02:02 AM   #1
New Boot

anyone read this book?

i was wondering if anyone has read this book: The Filmmaker's Handbook, is it any good? is there books that are better. basically i want a book thats mostly about 'directing', but also stuff on lighting and stuff would be nice also.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0452279577/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/102-5082017-3808128

is there any other big textbooks that cover.....everything? like film school text books or something? thanxs
Old March 3rd, 2005, 08:28 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

There's literally about a ton of different film textbooks, maybe more than a ton... you don't say where you're located, but if there's a Half-Price Books in your location, that's a good place to browse a huge selection of film-related texts. A major portion of my personal library was bought a few books at a time from the "original" HPB on Guadalupe St. in Austin, Texas.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old March 3rd, 2005, 08:30 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Oh, so now I see you're from Oz, if you're an Easter then I would imagine any major city esp. Sydney / Melbourne / Canberra or anywhere a university is located, will have a bookstore similar to our own Half Price Books here in the States.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old March 4th, 2005, 11:54 AM   #4
New Boot

I am reading it right now and I think it is a great book.
It is very fun to read and explains everything you need in order to start shooting either film or digital.
I learned tons of things and I am still in the 4th chapter.
This is a textbook for my class in the Uni.
Hope that helps
Cheers
Old March 4th, 2005, 11:55 AM   #5
New Boot

ohhh and be sure to get the
"completely revised edition"
Again amazing book for starters
Old March 17th, 2005, 03:48 PM   #6
Major Player

I checked that book out from the library and mostly skimmed and skipped through it. It separates film from digital with the different subject matter. I think it is as indepth as anyone could want. Touches on just about everything to do with making movies. It was actually a little too advanced for me but maybe I'll look at it again when I get some experience with the equipment and terminology.
Old March 20th, 2005, 08:22 PM   #7
Trustee

I do not think that book is ideal if you are interested only in directing. It covers the entire process, and is outdated in the technical department, if I remember correctly. I do not remember enjoying it either. That said, it is very cheap so do not discount it. Try "Film Directing Fundamentals : See Your Film Before Shooting" by Nicholas Proferes instead.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It