DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Read About It (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/read-about/)
-   -   Directing: Film Techniques and Aesthetics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/read-about/41268-directing-film-techniques-aesthetics.html)

Aaron Koolen March 16th, 2005 07:35 PM

Directing: Film Techniques and Aesthetics

This isn't a full review as I'm still reading it, but it's so good thought I'd give you all a heads up.

Directing: Film Techniques and Aesthetics (3rd Edition)
By Michael Rabiger
Amazon URL

The book covers a PHENOMENAL range of filmmaking subjects, and as a beginner, I find the information in it invaluable.

One of the great thing about it is that it contains a series of excercises on things such as shooting, editing, composition (By looking at movies and art) aimed at developing your skills as a visual storyteller.

While he suggests doing these in groups of filmmakers so you can discuss and learn off each other, from what I've read so far it's not necessary, except for needing actors/models/your mum, for some of the shooting excercises.

Some of the things you'll find are subjects on:

Editing
Pre/Post and Production
Storytelling
Screenwriting
Directing actors
Directing crew
Discovering your artistic identiy

And it just goes on and on.

The book is very readable, and has an almost personal feel where you don't just feel you're reading a manual like some other books can be. Michael Rabiger isn't scared to explain what he feels is the essence of filmmaking and he attempts to get you to really feel for/about your stories and be truthful to yourself and the craft. And he does this without sounding too much like a hippy.

I can't give the book enough praise. Check it out.

Aaron

Dennis Liu March 17th, 2005 01:27 AM

I agree - this was one of the first books I read on filmmaking and it helped A LOT in my general understanding. It's not the end all and be all, but a GREAT place to start. One highlight is how much of the book is about pre-production and development.

Dennis

Emre Safak March 20th, 2005 08:18 PM

This book is on my wish list. I would have bought it by now if it weren't so expensive!

Aaron Koolen March 20th, 2005 09:11 PM

Dennis, yeah I liked all those parts too. The whole process is covered, and not just the "being on set talking to actors" part.

I'm actually about to start trying to get a working group of novice filmmakers like myself together in the hope that we can work out a way to tackle these shooting projects together. It's presented in course fashion, so maybe we get together once a week with actors and our own gear, talk and then shoot scenes. Sort of run it like a mini film school of our own.

Also, we could share the acting (I think a 2 person scene is the most that's required) and other skills on each other's projects. This would make it easier to achieve (Don't need so many people) but of course could make it hard for everyone to get a chance to direct every project.

If you are interested, then email me.

Cheers
Aaron