DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Read About It (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/read-about/)
-   -   Books on "run and gun"? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/read-about/41352-books-run-gun.html)

Bruce S. Yarock March 18th, 2005 03:28 AM

Books on "run and gun"?

Most of what I'm doing now is "run and gun" or observational.For example, we're following a local politician and the events can be chaotic in terms of changing light, indoor- out doors, etc.
Does anyone know of any books or tutorials to help with this kind of shooting?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock

Steve Witt April 1st, 2005 08:59 AM

what is "run and gun"? Sounds like fun.

Christopher C. Murphy April 1st, 2005 09:44 AM

Actually, in my opinion "run and gun" is learned by doing it. You can have someone experienced show you "hand held" techniques, but still you need to run around shooting and then look at the footage.

Also, "run and gun" can mean a lot of things. There is "run and gun" MTV style - it's a Pro setup, but you're capturing the event up close and personal. You also have "run and gun", but much more organized. I did a shoot recently where I was in 4 locations in 3 towns in totally different areas of my state. This gig was suppose to be sit down interview and a "walk around" (walking around houses inside and out). Just by the nature of the shoot I was doing a "run and gun" in my opinion, but I needed it to look solid on the interviews...not rushed. It was tripod locked and lit. (used sunlight whenever possible though) To me it was "run and gun", but to my client they were seeing it as "setups". Yah right...I setup so fast it might as well been "run and gun".

Also, I've done "run and gun" for Presidental Primaries - 1996 (for NBCNEWS) and 2000 (for ABCNEWS). Now those are really "run and gun" - you are in a "gang bang". No kidding that's what it's called when 100 cameras and video cameras are herding down a hallway trying to get a soundbite from someone running for Prez. You have to follow them wherever they go...and it's a terror when being pushed and shoved by people that 5 minutes before were acting like collegues of yours. It's "run and gun" for real...last man standing type stuff. I swear, I saw this one "photog" (short for photographer in news) walking backwards and Sen. Dole is walking with a "gang bang"...the guy trips completely into a water fountain (it was a Holiday Inn lobby). Everyone stops...it's silent for about 2 seconds and then...whoosh, everyone's back on track and the guy is laying in the foundain with water all over him. Guess what the guy is doing?????? Holding his video camera up and GETTING THE SHOT of Dole turning and being swallowed up by the "gang bang"!

Makes sense? Lol..nothing really does until you try it!

Steve Witt April 1st, 2005 09:58 AM

Sounds interesting Chris. You really have to be on top of your craft to get the job done under those circumstances. I was almost thinking paparazzi when I first read the term "Run and Gun". I realize the paparazzi can invade privacy alot of the time but it seems like that would be sort of fun.(in a ring the doorbell then run and hide sort of way) hehehe!