DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Read About It (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/read-about/)
-   -   What is a Good book on video and things related (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/read-about/42102-what-good-book-video-things-related.html)

Mark Rosen March 30th, 2005 09:18 PM

What is a Good book on video and things related

Hi,

I am a still photogragher who recently converted from film to digital. When I made the switch there were many books I could read to teach myself this newer format. Many books later I have made the transition relatively easily.

I am now considering adding certain aspects of the video field to my business. Can anyone suggest a really good book that would be a good introductiion to this field as it pertains to subjects like video editing, the basics of encoding, various hardware devices and their uses, such as analog to digital converters. Also some info on the proper setup as it relates to various outputs, i.e. DVD, SVHS etc. I guess you could say the fundementals of video creation, editing and various outputs.

Thanks,

Mark

Steve Witt March 31st, 2005 08:25 AM

hello Mark, I have a few suggestions simply because I have been checking out books from the library on this stuff to try and learn as well.
One of the best books I have checked out so far is " How to do Everything with Your Digital Video Camcorder" by Dave Johnson, Todd Stauffer, & Rick Broida. Very easy read and very informative.
Takes you through video camera features to using it to capturing your video footage on a computer for editing, and editing itself. Very good start. And you also have the old reliable "Digital Videos for Dummies"(3rd Edition) by Kieth Underdahl. After reading one or both of these books, you will find that you have base knowledge to read more indepth books if you want to go there. I must tell you, when I started my research on Digital Video about two months ago, all I wanted to do is get a decent video camcorder to tape my 3year old daughter and do a little editing on the computer to make it look nice. When I began to realize what all you can do with digital video and about editing software and special effects, titling, sound manipulation, etc etc.
I got hooked on the endless possibilties and it kinda brought out the wanna-be independent filmaker in me. Now I want the best DVcam I can afford and some Kick-butt, Whiz-bang editing software to do whatever I want during post-production.
Have fun and Goodluck. Also, this site right here has been a tremendous help. these guys and gals are great!

Mark Rosen March 31st, 2005 09:10 AM

Steve,

Thanks for the info. This is a great forum, but because I am new to all of this, the most simple topics sometimes can go over my head. Mainly because I just simply do not understand the various terminolgies. I feel if I were to get a basic book I would benefit so much more from reading all the posts on this great forum.

Thanks again,

Mark

Steve Witt April 6th, 2005 10:39 PM

Mark, After you have read the basic entry level books (similar to the ones I recomended), I have a suggestion for the next level of Digital Video reading. Its called "The Filmmaker's Handbook a comprehensive guide for the digital age" by Steven Ascher and Edward Pincus. I have recently re-checked out this one from the public library to try and keep up with the heavy hitters in this forum. I have mentioned before that I keep it next to the computer as a handy reference guide for when I get stuck. I had this book one other time before and it was just too indepth for me at the time. But now it makes more sense and is a good supplement to the endless discussions on the DVnet. Have fun.

Emre Safak April 12th, 2005 09:47 PM

I think Practical DV Filmmaking by Russell Evans will get you off to a good start.

Luis Caffesse April 12th, 2005 11:57 PM

I think to be able to have a good understanding of all those subjects, you need a solid understanding of the digital video signal, and the various formats. It helps take the mystery out of a lot of things....

and for that I can't recommend Scott Billups' book enough

"Digital Filmmaking"

Some new things have come out since his last revision of the book, but I still think it gives a great foundation in digital video.

Steve Witt April 15th, 2005 03:06 PM

so this book, "Digital Moviemaking", by Scott Billups explains in a way you can understand RGB to YUV, Y, R-y, b-y and all that kinda stuff? This is what I'm having the most problems with. I think I gonna have to find this book. Thanks Luis.

Luis Caffesse April 15th, 2005 03:23 PM

"so this book, "Digital Moviemaking", by Scott Billups explains in a way you can understand RGB to YUV, Y, R-y, b-y and all that kinda stuff?"

Yes, it really heps take the mystery away from a lot of those types of video concepts.

The cheapest place I found it was on Overstock.com

Enjoy!

Mike Berlucchi October 20th, 2005 12:29 PM

You all need to check out "The Guerilla Film Makers Movie Blueprint" by Chris Jones. It teaches about all aspects of video and filmmaking. Very easy reader, lots of pictures, and demonstration type things. Also it teaches you how to make your own dolly. Very Fun.