General Camera Shots/Techniques Book at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Read About It
Some old-fashioned book-learnin' will do you some good.

Old October 28th, 2002, 11:54 PM   #1
Major Player

General Camera Shots/Techniques Book

Hi,
Does anyone know a really good book that explains and tells how to adjust your F stop and gain, how to light a scene, how do to different shots (things like the rule of thirds), and how to do transitions? Basically an all around technique and method book. I am not really looking for a book on how to work the camera or how to edit on a computer, but for a book on the art part of DV film making. If the book is DV oriented, that would be the best as I have a DV camera, but if it is a film book that's ok too because I am looking for technique not mechanics. I looked at some of the previous posts in this forum, but nothing was really like the kind of book I was looking for. Thanks for your help!
Old October 29th, 2002, 12:41 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Scott,
Your post is a bit self-contradictory. You say, "I am not really looking for a book on how to work the camera or how to edit on a computer..." but you also say you want to learn, "...how to adjust your F stop and gain...' and "...how to do transitions..." which are related to running your camera and editing, respectively.

You will not find all of these topics covered deeply in a single book. The closest work I can point you towards is "The Little Digital Video Book" discussed at http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=2427 which does a fine job of discussing most of the topics you listed within a concise, results-oriented framework for beginners.

Also noteworthy, "The Digital Filmmaking Handbook" http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1584500980 and "The Computer Videomaker Handbook" http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/024080435X each provide more in-depth treatment of nearly all of your topics plus many others in single volumes.

Beyond that, you should really be looking at specific topical books on lighting, scene planning, etc.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It