DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Read About It (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/read-about/)
-   -   Producing Great Sound for Digital Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/read-about/6777-producing-great-sound-digital-video.html)

Brian Huey February 9th, 2003 11:24 PM

Producing Great Sound for Digital Video

I've seen quite a bit of positive comments about this book here and from review other places such as amazon. But I've also seen some negative stuff like the following from and amazon review:

"A disappointment. It is well written, very introductory, and not at all geared to those of us trying to get the best digital sound out of our MiniDV camcorders, which is what I was hoping for. My problems include mic questions, in-line mixers, return loops for headphone monitoring, in brief: how to bypass the internal preamps in the camera to get the best sound out of a MiniDV camcorder. I need practical examples. This is not in this book. I am not sending it back, but it goes on the shelf with the other not-enough-hands-on-examples books"

So I want to be sure I'm getting the right book for me before I purchase it. I'm looking for a book that will help me get GREAT sound doing mini DV productions (short films, working up to features) leaning more towards action more than drama, but some of that also. I'm graduating with a electrical engineering degree in a few months so I don't need a basic overview of sound in the digital era.

I'm looking to purchase a GL2 and ME66/K6 package and I want to get the most out of it possible and I'm looking for a book that will assist me in this.

Thanks for the help,
Brian

Ken Tanaka February 9th, 2003 11:56 PM

Welcome Brian

Jay Rose's book "Producing Great Sound for Digital Video" is a very good primer on the principles of good sound recording, the basic technologies involved, and how they are generally excercised within the context of digital video acquisition. It is not a dance-step instructional book, and frankly such a work would not be possible.

If you are new to sound recording it will be worth every penny and then some.

I'd recommend skimming through it first. Then grab your mic, a good set of closed-cup headphones, your GL2 and some fresh tapes. Go out and record principally sound in various settings and locations. Get a feeling for how the directional ME-66 compares to the on-board GL2 mic by switching between the two in the same setting. Come back when your battery runs down and listen to your shots very closely. Then read Jay's book a bit more deeply.

There's no substitute for just using your equipment and your ears when it comes to learning this stuff.

Have fun with your new GL2!

Brian Huey February 10th, 2003 04:42 AM

Thanks for the info, I just broke down and ordered hundreds of pages of knowledge:

Film Directing Shot by Shot
Producing Great Sound for Digital Video
The Five C's of Cinematography
The Filmaker's Handbook

Total was $80.92 from buy.com w/ a $5 off $50 book purchase

Coupon code SKU - 84971642

Now I just need to find some more time for reading between classes.

BTW I also ordered - My First Movie: Twenty Celebrated Directors Talk About Their First Film (damn Amazon and there one click purchasing!)

Philip Boyer February 10th, 2003 10:59 AM

I noticed you didn't include a screenwriting book in your list. If you're interested, there's a website (wordplayer.com) that's better than any screenwriting book I've read. It's run by Terry Rosio and Ted Eliot, writers of Aladdin, Mask of Zorro, and the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean (among others).

Matt Betea February 10th, 2003 01:31 PM

Personally I would put at least one screenwriting book on the "must have" list. Unless you're already seasoned with the format, style and thinking that goes into a screenplay. For me, trying to shoot without a solid screenplay (or maybe at the very least an outline) is like trying to determine which is the "heads" and "tails" side of a coin in a pitch black room. you might finally get there by feeling your way around, but it's going to be a lot more trouble.

Brian Huey February 10th, 2003 01:32 PM

Yah, I was planning on getting the technical side down then start working more on the writing. Thanks for the tip of that site, added a bookmark to it.

Rob Lohman February 11th, 2003 05:35 AM

Thanks for the link to that site! I've bookmarked it and it looks
great.

I myself sometimes visit these sites:

http://www.unmovies.com/ (weird guy, but some very good articles)
http://www.writemovies.com/
http://www.scriptsales.com/

Also I have the book "The Screenwriters Bible" which I consider
to be very good.

Craig Irving October 27th, 2007 06:03 PM

Sound for Digital Video

I'd like to buy a book on sound for Digital Video, but I am undecided between
Tomlinson Holman's book "Sound for Digital Video" or Jay Rose's "Producing Great Sound for Digital Video".

Anyone have any input, or is there another book I should consider instead?

Emre Safak October 27th, 2007 09:46 PM

There are so many good books these days; one is spoilt for choice. Jay's is good. I don't know about Holman's, but it's on my wish list.

Steve House November 2nd, 2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Irving (Post 765931)
I'd like to buy a book on sound for Digital Video, but I am undecided between
Tomlinson Holman's book "Sound for Digital Video" or Jay Rose's "Producing Great Sound for Digital Video".

Anyone have any input, or is there another book I should consider instead?

I have both and can recommend them. Rose is a bit more general, Holman is more techinical. They complement each other very well.

Craig Irving November 2nd, 2007 06:22 PM

Great to hear, thanks!

I was looking for something more technical, but I'm sure Jay Rose offers a lot with his book also. So I'll be buying them both :)

Graham Risdon November 2nd, 2007 08:57 PM

Jay has 2 books - I have them both and they're both essential reading.

One focuses on production sound and the other post-production sound.

Although there is some overlap, it's worth getting both!

Hope this helps